Balloons

Ducking behind another bush, Gray and Juvia could hardly contain their giggles.

It was the newly formed Fairy Tail Water Wars, a competition filled with activities centered around the element. Juvia was the most fought after partner but after only a few seconds, she chose none other than Gray.

It was the beginning of the water balloon battle and sadly Gray had already used up half of the supply on Natsu alone.

"Damn! We are almost out, we are gonna have to go back to the center." Gray complained as he hurled another small balloon towards a tree.

"We won't be needing to my love." Juvia said. Gray turned his head towards her. In her lap was a packet of water balloons, and she was filling them up with her own water from her fingers. "Juvia can easily replace our supply!" She laughed and began to put them all in the buckets.

She was sporting her purple bath suit that showed off all her curves and Gray was in his black trunks that didn't look any different from his underwear he usually showed.

They were enjoying their time throwing and dodging all the balloons coming their way. They were hidden pretty good behind the bushes, a world of their own.

Gray turned to grab another balloon from the bucket, his hand touching hers but she didn't mind and just grabbed another one while handing him one as well. He watched as she threw one, knocking Natsu right in the chest as he ran in the center.

For some reason Gray felt something. Something warm inside, a feeling that he had never known. One that he knew reflected another's. Without warning he sputtered out a simple phrase.

"I love you." Gray said. The small balloon in Juvias hand popped as her head snapped in his direction. A shocked look slide onto her face.

"W-What?" She muttered. The dreamy look in eyes washed away as he realized his thoughts entered the world.

"I-ii" He began to stutter. Every bone in Juvias body wanted to launch at him and tackle him with kisses. She wanted to scream that she loved him too, but it didn't feel right. No. They weren't even dating. Although she loved him, she didn't know why she didn't believe him.

A part of her did, but another was scared. Just like the broken balloon in her hand. It was stretchy and squish and filled with love, but without any warning, it could break. All the love that was once there could just drain out.

It terrified her. She wanted nothing more than to love him with returned feelings. Spend the rest of their lives together in a safe place. But she's been broken before. Her body mimicked the balloon.

She was now filled with so much love that she didn't want it to drain.

Gray watched the cogs work in her head. The phrase spinning around. He was confused. He just said the thing she has wanted and he wasn't pinned to ground, smothered in hugs.

He waved his hand in front of her dazed face.

"Juvia?" He called. The water mage shook out of her stare. "I meant what I said." He said.

"Really?" Her voice soft as a feather.

"Yeah. I'm surprised at your reaction though."

"Juvia is struggling with such an outburst."

"You do it all the time."

"Well yes but Juvia-"

She was cut off.

With a kiss.

"Then why can't I do it?" He smirked as he pulled away.

In that moment everything around them disappeared. Balloons were flying around them but they didn't notice. Both of their moods shifted and it was like the stars just aligned.

Their pupils dilated in sync and the sound of their heartbeat was the only thing heard.

"I love you too." She whispered. A tear fell from her eye and Gray didn't know what took him so long to confess. "Does this mean Gray-sama and Juvia are?"

"Together?" He laughed. "It would be really weird if we weren't." He tapped her nose playfully and a blush rose to her cheeks.

He leaned in for another kiss, one that Juvia was ready for.

"Ahh" Gray was hit in the side of the head with a green water balloon, curiosity of Natsu. Before he could respond, Juvia already had a huge waves formed and launching towards the fire mage who began to run at full speed before he was trampled by the wave.

"You will not ruin this for Juvia." She yelled as her water magic flooded the area. She sat back down on her knees, looking at his head to make sure he was okay. "Are you alright my darling?" She asked, feeling more confident about her endearments.

"Better than ever." He replied and pulled her in for the much awaited kiss.

Just like the balloon in her hand, she swelled with love. She knew with certain that this love wouldn't pop or drain and she was confident that she was in good hands. Like the water balloon toss, she wouldn't be dropped.