A Chance Meeting

Prompt: Gray already has a girlfriend when he meets Juvia.

Enjoy!

---

Everyone told Gray that he should be happy. He was one of the best hockey players in the state and had a smoking hot girl. He admitted she was hot but there was no connection. She was one of the cheerleaders for the football team so naturally they ended hooking up. At first there was excitement. It was all about body pleasure and nothing more, they never held a deep conversation or talked mindlessly and he felt trapped. He didn't want to date her anymore but he did. It as a mundane routine but he kept at it, knowing that once he transferred to another college for his master degree, all would be well, but for now he stayed. Because he was expected too.

He was suppose to go to the store across from the gym but his feet took him to the new cafe by the river. It was cute and small and it was nice for a change. He walked in and scanned the room, looking over at all the choices in the display cases and his heart tighten.

Blue. The most vibrant blue hair he had ever seen bounced as the girl walked past him with a iced coffee in her hand. Their eyes met and for once the spark inside his heart burned. She placed the drink on the table and smiled as she went to collect another order and for some reason his eyes never left her.

He knew he shouldn't stare, he had a girlfriend for crying out loud, but she didn't care about him and their relationship would end in a matter of days.

As he stood in line he watched as she zipped around delivering plates and cups to tables and cleaning up all the used ones. Her uniform was simply jeans and a stained apron but he thought she looked beautiful. Occasionally their eyes would meet. Dark brown to sparkling blue, quite a combo. Her smile was plastered on as she talked to each customer and refilled their drinks, he was sad that she didn't take his order but he recognized the girl.

"Oh hey Lucy." he said and the blonde smiled.

"Gray, hey. What can I get ya?"

"Uh just a vanilla ice latte please, oh and add an extra shot of espresso too."

"Funny. That's Juvia's order too."

"Juvia?"

"Yeah the girl with the blue hair you have been staring at for the past five minutes." Lucy laughed and a slight pink dusted his cheeks when he realized he had been caught.

"Oh."

"Yeah know...She's single." Lucy chimed in as she slowly entered his order. His eyes met hers and he laughed awkwardly.

"I have a girlfriend." His hand scratched the back of his neck.

"Gray. Everyone knows you and Stephanie aren't going to last. Plus there was a party on Sunday and rumor say she has been real close with James lately." Lucy sighed.

They both knew what she was talking about. It was no secret that James and his current girlfriend used to go out and he wouldn't be surprised if she cheated.

"Yeah, I haven't talked to her about it but it just would feel wrong."

"Well you can always be friends and yeah never know." Lucy winked and handed him his receipt.

He thanked her and took at seat near the pick up line. Juvia switched with Lucy and started to take the orders behind the booth, giving Gray the perfect view of her from where he sat. He wonder why he stayed with his girlfriend. She had done this before but at this point he didn't care, he just wanted to know everything about Juvia.

He wanted to know her favorite songs and hobbies, if she liked the beach or preferred the ice like him. He had never been this interested in someone before but her contrasting appearance caught his attention. The world was full of daisy's but she was a rose.

"Order for Gray!" A voice called and he looked up from his phone. The voice had come from the blue haired girl he was staring at earlier and he stood to grab his drink.

"Here ya go." Her smile was breathtaking and her blue eyes captivated his.

His smile didn't stop as he grabbed his coffee, nearly spilling it and walked out of the cafe with a warm feeling in his chest. Grabbing his phone out, he sent a simple text.

"Have fun with James."