Immortal

I know it's a sin.

Against all immortal codes.

The laws that keep us in check.

But what if...just for a moment...those rules didn't apply...what if we were free? Free from our immortal chains, unlocked from our righteous path...what if then..we could be in love.

The Guardian of the Tides and Guardian of the Arctic...in love? Don't be silly.

But when I saw you for the first time as the universe formed, skin frosted like ice, I knew that rules were meant to be broken.

And all the eons passed, we grew closer. Our elements adapting and dancing as one, we were so close, yet so far.

"Immortals can't fall in love" I have heard thousands of times. Do we not deserve the happiness that mere mortals get?

Are we, the gods who rule this cruel world, incapable of feeling such complex but such simple feelings? Ones that even the mortals that worship us have?

Those cold eyes drawing me in, burning me at my very core, cold for others, tender and sweet for me.

An iced heart and exterior thick as the ice caps, one no one even dared to approach. But yet here I was. A delicate water lily, dancing upon a frozen pond, one might think I would get stuck or die in the cold, but I felt alive.

Because every moment I'm with you, I feel more alive than not. My eternal state and beauty wouldn't fade over time, yet this desire grows more each day.

I feel mortal when I'm with you. Something crazy, no one would ever trade their everlasting existence, but I would.

I would get rid of this bond just to have a few years loving you freely. Simple glances aren't enough to keep me going and it's killing me.

My heart breaks as your back is turned to mine, knowing that if we dare to break the ice, our lives could be extinct.

But oh how good that would be. Just to hold you in my arms for a few moments, to dance as the night grows cold. I envy the life and love humans can live, to love freely.

The fantasy of us being together, maybe in another life, but we were created at the center of the universe, the world in our hands but yet I feel alone.

I know it's a sin.

I know once we start we can't go back.

But when you kissed me upon that frozen lake, I knew this was what eternal life was.

"Immortals can't fall in love." I whispered, still feeling the warmth of your lips lingering on mine.

"Then lets be mortal." You said.

A thousand moons have passed over us and yet I felt re-birthed, a new life was to be explored.

It was a sin for immortals to fall in love.

But now as we sit at the edge of our pond, in the little house in a small village, trading our powers for each other, I began to wonder...

How can loving someone be a sin?

I traded my eternal life for a human one.

The Guardian of the Tide and Guardian of the Arctic were no more, instead they were just two lovers who chose their happiness over riches, love over life and sin over faith.

And as we sit watching ourselves age, knowing that at any moment our lives could end, I wouldn't trade it for the world.

I'd rather die loving you, than live a million years without getting a chance to hold you in my arms.

If loving is a sin, then call me the devil.

I laugh as everyone wished they were born a god, the immortal state is something people crave. But the look in your eyes when you kiss my hand, when you sweep me off my feet and dance in the water or when you doze off to sleep, this is what eternal bliss is like.

I once envied the humans but now I pity the gods.

Because there's no use in being immortal if you can't live the life you want.