Heartbreak

This was also for Gruvia Week! And it was written on my birthday!!! 

So I hope you enjoy!!!

---

Gray watched from the pillar, hidden from the eyes of all the guest as the piano began to play.

He watched as everyone stood and turned their heads to the glass door opening, revealing the beautiful bride.

He watched as she took her first step, her eyes only coming up briefly and her face was harden like stone, like a dying fire, there was no warmth.

He watched as her fingers tighten slightly around the roses in her hand, although they were picked that morning, they had their own wilt. Her dress was pretty but she missed the glow of what a bride should have.

He watched in pain as she stood in front of the man, her blank face never waviering as he gave her a smirk, one that disgusted Gray as they recited their vows.

And their vows were just words. They weren't promises or commitments. They were meaningless sentences to fill the time when they should have been laced with love. Those words should have come from him, the entire wedding should be about them but it wasn't. His heart broke in two when he realized that the day she had been waiting for her entire life was nothing but a disappointment and meant nothing to her.

Because of him. Because he was too afraid to admit that he was in love with her. He thought that if he turned her down, the emotions would go away and eventually they did.

He remembers the night vividly. Her eyes widen but instantly soften as he told her he didn't love her.

"Juvia understands but she will always love her-

"No" he spat bitterly. "I don't want you to love me."

And he turned his back on her again and again. Soon their friendly conversations stopped and their late night chats disappeared. Their banter and jokes ceased to be spoken as they took fewer and fewer jobs together.

He thought this is what he wanted, but one night when he needed to get something off his chest, she wasn't there. Her smile had faded and her eyes were drained of color. Little did he know, he wasn't hurting just himself but her as well.

Days past when words were spoken until they had cut off connection completely. She never made him another cake or showed him the newest artwork she made. She stopped telling him stories about the river and what growing up was like. She stopped meeting him for smoothies and whispering in his ear about how he was the best wizard in the guild.

Everything stopped. Except for their love for one another.

And then the message came. She would be married. It hurt. It really did.

Because he finally understood why it hurt so much. It was painful because he knew they would give anything to make the man saying "I do" him.

All the life had left her eyes as she repeated those words. Like a sealed contract, her life as signed over to another person, a man who would never hold the same place in her heart.

So when the priest asked if anyone objected, Gray paused. He wondered if he should run out into the isle, tell her name and beg on his knees to love him once more.

He wondered if he should grab her hands and spin her around and tell her how she meant the world to him.

She paused and looked out into the sea of faces and begged for a hand to raise. She wondered what would happen if he suddenly showed up and took her away from this nightmare.

She wondered if he ever meant what he said and if he had any regrets. She wondered why she was about to be wed to a man she didn't love andwhat it would be like to have Gray at her side again.

She wondered if her heart would ever heal and if she could learn to love her new husband. She looked out into the crowd again, eyes drained of life and locked eyes with dark brown ones she knew all too well.

The room had vanished and it was just them. He stood with his hands in his pocket looked at his feet, guilt corrupting his entire being.

The clock was ticking down and for the first time during the ceremony, she let out a small smile. One so faint, only he saw. His blood ran cold as her head turned toward the other mans and was kissed.

A single tear ran down her cheek as they parted and Gray backed up. Her head hung low and she looked towards him again knowing that they had lost each other for good, that this truly was the end of their time.

She walked down the isle, her hand in her new husbands and passed him sadly.

She gave him a small smile, one that crushed his soul and haunted his dreams for the next week.

It was a smile that said "I love you, I always have and I won't hesitate to run to you."

But all he could do was stop and stare as the newly weds left the building and he fell to his knees.

Both of them left with broken hearts and empty promises, ones that would never be fulfilled in this world.