Ice Ice Baby?

Prompt from my tumblr ask box:  Gruvia has been betting on a baby ice mage or water mage but nine months later they found out baby Gruvia had a mutation in his gene and is a fire mage

----

It came as no surprise when Juvia found out she was pregnant. The random sickness she had for weeks was driving her insane and the amount of cuddles she demanded from her husband even had her questioning her own sanity.

"Babe you sure you're okay?" Gray had asked after they finished dinner. She didn't eat much and rather set her eyes on him, what can she say, she married a handsome man.

"Juvia is fine-" she thought sickness was only for the mornings and rushed to the bathroom.

That night they sat on the floor of the bathroom as the test laid between them.

They were silent at first, not knowing what was to come but Grays hand took hers and the tears that feel from his eyes were from pure joy.

"We are gonna be parents." He said with a smile and she joined him with flushed cheeks as she stared at the symbol of their future.

"You know they are gonna take on our magic." Gray had said as he rubbed her shoulders. It had been a couple of months since they had found out and her bump had grown with the time.

"Juvia hopes they have ice magic."

He kissed the side of her neck with a laugh. "Of course you do. Well I think another water mage would be perfect."

"Perhaps they will learn both." Juvia smiled.

"Maybe."

Gray imagined a little girl or boy running around. Small snowflakes bursting from their palms or a rainstorm coming down with every cry.

Either way the magic the baby would have or learn would come from them.

But they were wrong, so very wrong.

——

The labor came in the passing months and after screaming, yelling and Grays hand being crushed but was not allowed to complain because his poor wife's body was being ruined at the scene, they welcomed their daughter.

"Oh she has your eyes Gray." Lucy cooed at the newborn. "And the blue hair, she's beautiful."

She was. The newest highlight of the Fullbuster family was here. Juvia never thought that she could love someone more than her husband and yet she would give the entire universe just to see her little baby girl smile.

The bets were placed on what magic she would take too. By the time she was walking, her parents showed her some tricks.

—-

She was five when it had happened. She came running into the door, a smile brighter than the sun as she stood in front of her parents.

"I did it!" Silver cried. "I did magic."

Her father swept her off her feet into the air just as Juvia was walking in behind her, an unreadable expression on her face.

"Well Ice Cube." He set her down. "Let's see." He sat on the couch and Juvia went to his side. "Oh babe this is it. Have you been teaching her water magic?" He asked and she gave him a soft smile.

"Juvia took Silver to train by the river and she did in fact learn magic."

"You don't sound too happy."

Juvia looked at Gray and took his hand. "Juvia loves her baby no matter what and she expects Gray-sama to do so as well."

He furrowed his brows. "Juvia I am going to love and be proud of her no matter what."

"You promise?" She narrowed her eyes and he gulped.

"Um yes? I love our little girl."

Juvia smiled. "Juvia knows, she was just checking. Okay Silver darling, daddy's ready." She clasped her hands together.

"Wait." Gray said. "Shouldn't we do this outside?"

"No!" Silver shouted. "I can do it here."

Their daughter stood in the living room and nodded. She spread her feet apart a little but like she was preparing for battle and held her fists out.

"Juvia." He said looking at her stance. "Water and Ice magic isn't close combat."

"Be quiet Gray-sama!" She shushed him.

Silver closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She whispered something to herself but nothing happened.

"Honey don't forget magic is all about confidence. Get loud like you were taught."

"Yes mama." She took another deep breath before opening and closing her palms.

The words that let her lips made his blood turn cold.

"FIRE FLAME!" She yelled as blue flames erupted from her palms ina dazzling spark. They died within seconds and she dusted her palms on her pants. "Did you see that dad!" She jumped.

He nodded with a smile. "That's very impressive Ice Cube. Why don't you go get ready and we can go down to the guild."

Silver beamed and ran towards her room. "Maybe Uncle Natsu will show me more!"

Gray turned with a worried look on his face.

"Juvia."

"Yes?"

"Our daughter can not be a fire mage!" He whisper shouted.

"She might be and we as her parents will accept it."

"Juvia." He ran a hand through his hair. "We can't help her if she's in trouble or needs assistance. We would have to ask dumb ass flame bucket."

Juvia gave him a kiss on the cheek. "Well it's not too late to train her with ice. Maybe she can learn both." She hummed.

Gray pouted. "I guess. But I would have rather had a baby who knew water magic too."

"Darling you know that my magic is born not taught. Plus she seems to really enjoy the flames."

Gray grumbled something. "I know but it sucks. I can't believe I let him teach her."

Juvia stood to grab her purse and Gray followed. "Juvia knows how you feel but imagine her surpassing him as the goal. A mage born into water and ice beating out the other elements."

A small smile came to his face. "Yeah I guess so. I'll teach her ice too and she will become an unstoppable force."

The footsteps of Silver came into the room as she dropped to the floor to place her shoes on. "Daddy I wanna be able to do fire and ice!" She said as she had heard the previous statement.

He picked her up and ruffled her hair. "Of course you can Ice Cube. You can learn anything."

"And maybe our next child will be of water." Juvia chimmed in and Gray snapped his head towards hers.

"Next?" He asked breathlessly and she nodded.

He kissed the top of her head and smiled. "We are not letting our next child near Natsu"

"Oh absolutely not." She laughed. 

---