Forgiving

Prompt: Avatar fic where Gray chases Juvia for forgiveness.

Hope you enjoy!!

The guild re-banded and everyone was cheering. Familiar faces circled around him but he was only looking for one. Even after the battle, they hardly spoke. Every time he was about to open his mouth he either stopped or she walked away. And now he couldn't find her. He walked out of the guild hall and looked to the sky, hoping for a sign of where she could be. To the untrained eye it was a normal day with bright white clouds but he saw it. Towards the river in the mixture of clouds was one slightly darker, one that could spill rain at any second, the one caused by her.

His feet quickly ran towards that cloud, he had already caused her too many tears, and he wouldn't let it happen again. He found her sitting at the river edge, her hands had a slight quake to them and a dreaded pain shot through his heart.

-

He did it to protect Juvia. She tried to reason with herself but it was no use. Silently she flicked her feet into the water's edge, holding back the tears because she didn't want to gloom this day of celebration nor give away her hiding spot. She watched the ripples in the water form and knew that the snap of a twig could only come from one person. The person she cared about more than anyone, but also the one that caused her the pain in her heart.

Without a word, he sat down next to her, letting his feet dip into the water. A moment passed and neither had spoken. The tension between them was heavy and it was like they were snowed inside their house they once shared. They could either let the snow melt or work together to stay warm. All they wanted was the warmth of the other.

"Juvia Im sorry." He spoke. She shook her head softly and let a small smile onto her face. He hated seeing that small smile because it meant she was trying to be strong and forgiving, he didn't want that. He wanted her to yell and scream and ask why he did what he did, but they both knew she would never.

"Gray-sama doesn't need to apologize, you did what had to be done. Juvia understands." That should of been the end of the conversation but he grabbed her hand softly and turned her head so their eyes met.

"That's not fair. You shouldn't be this forgiving."

"Well Juvia is and you know that won't change."

"I know. But you deserve an apology."

"Juvia already said that she-" Her voice raised.

"Juvia I left you sitting in the rain for months. Our friends found you in a horrific state that I caused and you don't want me to be sorry?" His dark eyes begun to drown in tears.

"Every minute that passed by on my mission, I thought of you. I thought of how I wanted to leave that place and come back home to your arms. I thought about how you would smile even while scolding me for leaving my clothes or how you would run your fingers lightly over my marks."

"And every minute that passed, it caused you pain. I don't care that it was a mission and I had to do it. I should of told you, there were some many things I should of said but I didn't and I'm sorry. I vowed to myself to never left a rainstorm be caused by me. I told myself over and over that I wouldn't let you cry or take away your blue sky but I did, no I did worse than that."

"Gray-sa-"

"I never told you." He breathed in heavily. Her eyes widened as if she knew what was coming next. His eyes shifted down towards the water, hesitating saying what was on his mind.

"Gray-sama is right." His head snapped towards her. "He did leave Juvia in the rain. He did break her heart slightly."

"But, he did it to protect Juvia and his friends, so how could Juvia ever hate or love you any less?" Her hand palmed his cheek and using her thumb she wiped away the tears that had trickled down his face.

"I love you Juvia, you know that right?" He leaned in and took her lips softly with his. He poured his heart into the kiss, making her know that his words were true and she believed him with each move.

"Juvia loves you too."