Chapter 17: How They Remember You.

Yuno: You knew Vanellope's father?

Captain Nozel: *diverting the question* You're the boy with the four-leaf grimoire. *towards me* How on Earth did you end up with these two? Or better yet, how are you still alive?

Me: *not knowing what to say* Ummm, well, you see...

Asta: *cuts off again* How do you know Vanellope??

Captain Novel: *glare* Why do you two commoners think you can just speak to me informally?

Me: Kk, Kk, before this get outs of hand...I have my own questions. Just out of curiosity, why are you speaking to me if I'm a commoner?

Captain Nozel: Let me explain. I knew your father when he was Vice Captain of the Silver Eagles. I was only 10 years old when I first met him. I watched him gain the respect of royals, nobles, commoners, and the Wizard King. Due to this, it does not bother me to interact with you due to you being the daughter of such a great man. Over the years, I began to know him quite well and aspired to be like him one day. If my memory serves me, I knew you as just a small infant and the last time I laid eyes on you, you were only 4 years of age.

Me: Then that means...

Captain Nozel: The day I'd visit you again, the whole town was obliterated. Flames, destruction and death was all I witnessed. There were no survivors yet, here you stand before me. But, I have a question for you, why do you tell others that you are from a village?

Me: It's my new home. It's been my place for 10 years and this is were I met Yuno and Asta. They are my family and I love them dearly.

Captain Nozel: I see. Then, I shall tell you more about your parents. I am sure you'd enjoy this, wouldn't you?

Me: *nods* Yes. Of course.

Captain Nozel: I had much respect for your father and your mother as they loved me endlessly; just as if I were their own child. My own mother loved them just as much and seen them as a part of our family. Your parents were deeply respected in the House of Silva. Although your parents had our respect, you should know that you'll need to earn it. I can't just give it to you because of your parents.

The Captain placed his hand on my shoulder once again.

Captain Nozel: However, it does not mean I won't help you. If you ever need anything, please let me know and I shall not hesitate to fulfill your request. Even though you decided to choose a different magic knight squad, I can respect you for following your own path.

Me: *not sure how to take it* Uhhhh...thank you Captain.

Captain Nozel: Just call me Nozel.

Captain Nozel began to walk off but a sudden question popped up in my mind that was truly important.

Me: Wait! *runs up to him* My dad...how was he remembered?

Captain Nozel: *sighs and looks up at the sky* David was a magic knight respected by his comrades and the people of the Clover Kingdom. He was a magnificent and talented mage. For that reason, my mother hand picked him to be the Vice Captain of the royal Silver Eagles. Let's just say, it was a tragic loss to have discharged him as a solider and find out that he was gone.

Nozel finally walked off as I stood there trying to process the entire situation. A tear slid down my face thinking about my parents and how they were remembered.

[It seems a lot of people got to enjoy the amazing souls my parents were. I can only feel good that I had the little memories of them from when I was younger. I'm just so grateful to know that my dad was remembered as a respected bad-ass.]