22 - 이십이 장

(Twenty-second chapter)

Pain.

It is something that hurts us, be it physically or emotionally. Any pain inflicted on human beings is said to be remembered for a long time, even though the wound gets healed, our emotions don't.

Sowon looked out of the car window, trying to count how much pain she had faced for this week now. The pain she caused to Hoseok was something she can never forgive herself of.

She closed her eyes, choosing to reminisce the fateful day when she first talked to Hoseok during her high school days before they became good friends.

"Hey Sowon, why are you crying?"

Sowon sobbed, trying to hide her hiccups as she desperately wiped her tears away and put on a brave smile.

"Me? I am not crying."

Hoseok shook his head and pointed at her tear-streaked cheeks, "Look you are crying. What happened?"

Sowon looked away, trying to dry her tears so that he won't make fun of her crying like a kid.

"I told you, I am no-" Sowon hiccuped, cutting herself off.

With wary eyes, she looked at Hoseok and tried to comprehend what he was thinking of her. Did she look ugly? She could bet that he was disgusted by her behaviour.

"Here."

Sowon stared at the bottle of water in his hands as he thrust it into her palms. When she looked up in confusion, he only gave her a bright smile.

"You should drink water, it helps to stop your hiccups."

She was unsure why he was being kind to her instead of making fun of her as other kids do. But since she was constantly hiccupping, she took the water and meekly drank it.

His smile widened and he shrugged off his coat, covering Sowon's bare arms as she was still in her P.E shirt. She was more than surprised, unable to understand what the boy was doing.

Then he sat down next to her on the stairs and sighed, "Do you want to tell me what happened?"

"N-No," Sowon whispered, not wanting to remember the embarrassment she just faced.

It was P.E class and all of them were practising volleyball. Sowon was also playing with other girls but she was unaware of their cruel plans.

All of the girls including the opponent team made it a goal to hit the ball at Sowon who tried to dodge it several times. Her team members pushed her around, acting innocent while secretly smirking at others.

The last blow was hit and Sowon was sure to dodge it but when a girl stepped on her shoelaces, she could not move away and the ball came in full force, knocking her down to the floor.

The roar of laughter echoed in the room as Sowon tried to sit up despite the pain throbbing in her head. Thankfully she was not much hurt but when she glanced around, no one was trying to help her.