34 - 삼십사 장

(Thirty-fourth chapter)

"I think...we lost them."

A breathless Namjoon spoke and Sowon almost collapsed on the ground in a bid to show her gratitude. Ever since she has been running, it was the only time she could catch her breathe properly.

She disentangled her hand from his and placed both her hands on hips for support, bending over in a desperate attempt to recover her steady breathing.

"You look quite exhausted, are you sure it's okay?"

Sowon nodded, holding the side of her waist as she felt a tug of pain spreading over her skin like a wildfire. She held in the groan, trying to understand why her sides were suddenly burning that way.

Then she remembered how much she had danced for hours before running continuously for at least ten more minutes. Plus she had not eaten anything except for drinking a bottle of water.

No wonder she had cramps.

"Uh, what should I do now?"

Sowon whispered to herself, unable to stop the pain searing through her organs and skin as she pressed her hands more forcefully over it. They were still far from their house and she doubted if she could walk more in such condition.

A warm hand suddenly clutched her shoulder, making her panic for a moment if those thugs had caught up to them. But when Namjoon's face washed over by the moonlight came into her view, she was more than relieved.

"I know you have been practising hard and this chase must have drained you."

"It's okay, really." Sowon insisted.

Namjoon gave her a gloomy look, glancing at her hunched position before shaking his head.

"No, you are not. But we still have some distance to cover."

"What are you getting at Namjoon?"

Sowon asked tiredly, unable to waste more energy on talking instead of making their way home. She would do anything even crawl to get to the safety of her home, away from those thugs.

His eyes seemed to show determination, "Let me carry you."

"Excuse me?"

She could not believe what the male had just spoken to hear. Surely she must have misheard it because that made no sense, no. Why would he go to such an extreme extent to help her?

"I am serious Sowon. You have terrible cramps due to dehydration and loss of energy. Do you think you can walk any further?"

Namjoon's eyes still shined with motivation and she wondered how he was offering such a suggestion looking into the fact that their relationship was still imbalanced.

But the more seconds she took to ponder upon his offer, the more his face began to show the worry he had build-up for her. She glanced behind him, abruptly remembering how those thugs were trying to chase them.

What if they were near? No, she reprimanded herself. It was not supposed to happen this early so she shook her head a little in an attempt to dismiss the dreadful thought in her head.

"Sowon?"

Now she could not excuse her own self from the bubbles of anxiety stirring in the pit of her stomach. This was the last option the two of them had to escape if they wanted to and it all depended on her now.

"I- won't it be hard for you?" Sowon asked Namjoon worriedly.

Despite the grave situation, he had the audacity to roll his eyes and she involuntarily smiled after hearing his answer.