42 - 사십이 장

(Forty-second chapter)

After a good brunch of appetizing food and refreshing drinks, everyone was filled with energy and happiness to kick off the day along with the plans Namjoon had surprisingly made by himself.

For Sowon it was albeit different no, it was very drastically different. She had lost all her appetite for the food when she saw how close Haneul was constantly sticking around Namjoon who was oblivious to anything.

At one point, Sowon broke her chopsticks when right in front of her eyes, Haneul began to feed some food to Namjoon who was surprised but accepted and ate heartily. Both Mr and Mrs Han were laughing, happy that Namjoon was opening up to them.

Sowon scoffed quietly to herself before gulping the lychee juice quickly. It was all her parent's fault. They had brought him here but gave him full freedom to the extent they don't mind her best friend behaving all kind towards her fiancé.

"Am I the supposed to be girl or her? That was ridiculous."

Sowon asked herself as she threw the empty bottle of juice inside the bin. Huffing, she wiped any remain of food on her mouth with a tissue and glanced back.

All four of her family were laughing at some jokes, not even realising how depressed and irritated she was here standing alone.

Can't they see me? Am I invisible now?

Sowon felt like she was the third wheel for two pairs of couples on a date. Her parents along with her new favourite couple, Namjoon and Haneul. Note the sarcasm.

She crossed her arms, waiting for them to notice her absence from their group but they were still roaring with laughter as Haneul spoke something in between her fit of laughter.

"At this point, I regret coming here."

The thought to leave for home and sleep sounded more interesting than standing here and feeling left out. Maybe she should quietly grab her things and leave, at least they would enjoy without her being extra baggage.

A hand rested on her shoulder and Sowon turned around, ready to scowl but her facial features transformed into a frown when she noticed an older lady around her fifties smiling at her.

"Excuse me, young lady, could you help me find the washroom?"

"Uh of course. It's there," Sowon pointed to the small house attached to a candy store, "if you enter the shop then they'll even offer you some assistance. Instead, do you want me to help you walk there?"

The old lady smiled, "I can go alone don't worry but you are a sweet girl. You should smile more, it makes you look prettier."

Sowon forgot all her bitter emotions for a moment and allowed a smile to rest on her lips. The old lady's words seemed to lighten her mood. Then the stranger nodded her head in the direction where Sowon's family stood at a distance.

"Are they your family?"

"Yes," Sowon could not help the bitter smile on her face, "we are supposed to have fun together but..."

"Then why don't you join them?"

Sowon shook her head, "I am probably just an extra person."