61 - 육일 장

(Sixty-one chapter)

Namjoon grits his teeth in rage, unable to accept the scandalous situation laid in front of him. He grabs a newspaper, abruptly scrunching the paper to shrivel as his hands formed into fists, clenched tightly.

Then with all the force he could muster, Namjoon threw the destroyed paper at the floor, stomping his foot. How he wishes he could pull his hair out and scream like an insane person. How could fate be this tricky all the time?

Someone tsked behind him and he turned around, surprised at first before recognising the person standing at his door and a scowl took up his expression.

“You should not go around throwing stuff on the floor son.”

Namjoon gritted through his teeth, “what are you doing here?”

His mother, Mrs Kim chuckled as she entered her son's room while ignoring his obvious turmoil. She picked up the scrunched paper and threw it in the bin before looking around the room.

“I must say you have a nice room.” She inspects the flower vase kept beside Namjoon's bed, a gift that Sowon had given to him. "But very basic."

Namjoon crosses his arms, doing his best not to break anything because he was living in someone else's house and this was not his expensive house where he could freely do whatever he wished.

"I asked what are you doing here? Stop ignoring my question."

Mrs Kim looks at the small bookshelf filled with books.

"Am I now?" She takes out a book and Namjoon skips the urge to yank the book from his mother's hand. "Maybe I would have answered if your question was more plausible."

"Stop beating around the bush."

Namjoon continues to glare at his mother who puts the book back into the same place before taking a seat on Namjoon's bed.

"You should change that crude attitude Namjoon, I have always told you."

"Does it even matter?"

"Of course it does." Mrs Kim stands up, now walking towards Namjoon with an eerie calm smile. "You had no respect for me today, in front of the Han household."

"Respect? Do you think you deserve that because you suddenly decided to waltz into this house as my mother?"

Namjoon doesn't fear changing his tone into something more bitter and unacceptable. His mother continues to maintain her cool stance, not once blinking.

"Of course I do."

He scoffed, "you must be delusional then. I never respected someone who married three times for her selfish reasons."

Mrs Kim narrows her eyes, noticeably dissatisfied.

"And I thought you are supposed to keep our family matters to ourselves. What are you trying to achieve here?"

"Speaking the truth."

She inhales sharply, "look Namjoon. I am just trying to be nice here so why don't you try to act mature as well?"

"Why should I?"

"Because I am your mother!"

Mrs Kim snaps, her voice pitched higher than before. Her eyes were now wider, chest heaving in anger. Namjoon, however, continues to glare at her without any regard for her sudden outburst.