23 - 이십삼 장

(Twenty-third chapter)

"Here drink this down."

Sowon quietly obliged the person's words, grimacing when the taste of the bitter medicine travelled down to her food pipe. Recoiling away she thrust the cup into his hands, almost wanting to puke.

"What is that thing?" She asked in horror, unable to drink any more.

Namjoon chuckled, keeping the bottle away, "It's called medicine Sowon if you don't know."

"Shut up."

Namjoon did not answer back but there was a small smile on his face which made her wonder if he was feeling guilty for his mistakes.

He was taking care of her for the past few days and she was secretly impressed how he learnt the timing and dosage of all her medicines very quickly. Almost everywhere she would go, he would tag along to help her.

Sowon checked her foot, smiling when her wounds began to heal and hurt no longer. Even her hands were getting better which allowed her to do her own works.

"Can you pass me the ointment?" She asked without looking up.

Namjoon moved to grab her medicine and gave it to her, "Here. Do you want me to apply it?"

Sowon shook her head and took the ointment with a small whisper of thanks. It was true that she could walk around and easily get her own medicine but she wanted to lax off especially since Namjoon was being 'extra-friendly' towards her.

Despite his hospitality, Sowon had made it clear that she was still mad at him and he didn't argue back. She didn't give back the warmth he offered her because it was not easy to be around him with different thoughts inside her head.

She bet he would immediately take her to the hospital if she complains a little bit about her injuries. That was how much he was being vigilant to her and it somehow made her feel good, that at least he was trying to help her.

Maybe I should try a little as well.

"You know..." Sowon began talking as she applied the ointment to her foot. "Since the day that incident occurred, I feel like I kind of lost myself."

She glanced and chuckled at Namjoon who was shocked to see her talking about that day without blaming him or breaking down.

She continued, "Hoseok has been my best friend for the past years and he is one reason how I have survived my life this far. If he wasn't there for me, I don't know if I would even be here."

Wrapping up her foot with a bandage, she now applied the cream on her hands carefully.

"What um...happened?"

"I was bullied."

Silence. It was an odd feeling simmering inside Namjoon as he tried to imagine this independent and strong girl to be harassed by others.

"So he saved you?"

Sowon looked at him with a small smile, "He didn't only save me but encouraged me to take a step forward against my classmates. He is the foundation for the start of my life as a strong girl. Without him, I feel like I would crumble down like those days when I was picked on."

"W-Why are you telling me all these?" His voice was filled with confusion.

Sowon stood up, walking towards the mirror near the bathroom and looked at her messy self. Her eye looked droopy, her hair was messy and she looked like a living zombie.