37 - 삼십찰 장

(Thirty-seventh chapter)

Sowon cleared her throat, clearing it twice in a harsher way when she still felt like her throat has been clogged by an invisible lump. Outside the café she stood, ready to enter but still hesitating.

Just push the door and enter.

Her hands clamped the door handles and she still stood there like an idiot, trying to rehearse what she should say when she meets Namjoon. Should she be kind and polite? Or still, act angry and try to talk it out? She had no idea what to do.

And words, what should she say? Sowon expected him to reject her request but when Namjoon agreed, it was like her mind went blank in surprise.

"Do you see that girl? What is she doing there?"

"Probably hesitating to see her ex."

Some remarks and whispers reached her ear and Sowon turned to send a glare towards anyone whom she could see on the street. No one had the right to talk about her that way when she was minding her own business.

Two girls dressed in small skirts and crop tops gave a challenging look at Sowon, giving her the impression that those girls were probably the ones badmouthing her.

Control Sowon.

With another strong glare, Sowon decided that she didn't have to waste her time arguing with some strangers and instead, turned around. She pushed the door with all the might she could muster because her hesitation was long gone, replace with irritation.

Her eyes immediately scanned the friendly interior of the café and part of her liked the decorations, making a mental note to visit this café whenever she gets the chance again.

Then her eyes landed on the male figure sitting at a table. His back faced her but judging the posture and his expensive black coat, it was easy to guess the person.

"Hey."

Sowon greeted him, walking up to his table before she stopped. Namjoon turned around, offering a small smile.

"Sowon."

But her attention was fully focused on the person sitting in front of Namjoon which she didn't notice before. Her chest tightened as an unknown feeling began to claw at her heart.

Haneul.

Her ex-best friend was sitting timidly, her hands resting on her lap and so was her eyes. But Sowon didn't fail to notice those pale skin and dark bags under those brown orbs, a pang of guilt crossing her heart.

They both looked ironically similar in different ways and Sowon couldn't lie that the glow of cheerfulness had left Haneul.

"Hey."

Haneul's head whipped up in surprise, shocked to see Sowon greeting her as nothing had happened between them. She swallowed, nodding her head silently.

Sowon took that as an invitation that Haneul was not going to talk to her soon and she took a seat beside Namjoon, looking everywhere except towards the female who was slumped back in her chair like a recluse.