43 - 사십삼 장

(Forty-third chapter)

The rental shop had almost every type of bicycle available for rent and Sowon almost squealed in happiness when she noticed a cruiser bike which was perfect for her comfort.

She checked the rent, her face dropping in horror because as good as the bike was the price. It costed more than she could afford and decided to leave it.

"Sowon did you choose your bike?"

"Yeah, this one."

She pointed at the cheapest one available, pretending like she was not sad that her favourite bike was too costly for her to even rent for an hour.

Namjoon stepped up to the cashier when everyone announced their choices and sizes of the bike. Sowon immediately grabbed his arm, stopping him from doing the payment.

"Let me pay, you already paid for the food."

"But-"

"No buts. I can't let you pay for everything like this."

Sowon glanced outside the shop to see her parents and Haneul waiting for them. Then she fixed her eyes on Namjoon with determination but he only rolled his eyes.

"Don't worry Sowon, I promised to pay for today so I'll do it."

"That will only hurt my pride Namjoon."

Namjoon raised a brow, "do you even have the money?"

His question caught Sowon off guard and she heard the cashier snickering behind them. Her cheeks began to turn red and she felt humiliated.

"Of course I do. Now move aside, let me pay."

"Yeah right. For your information, each bike rental cost more than your allowance."

"I don't get an allowance."

"Oh, so you are poorer than I thought. Jobless and no more allowance, how you manage it?"

The cashier snickered again but when Sowon shot him a dirty glare, he faked it into a cough. Then she glared at Namjoon, stomping her foot.

"You don't have to expose me like that and I do have money saved in my account, excuse you."

Namjoon rolled his eyes again.

"So let me save that money and little pride of yours." Namjoon pushed her aside and said to the cashier, "I'll pay for these please."

Sowon decided to give up as she knew how stubborn Namjoon could be. Glaring at his head, she waited for him to finish their transaction as he listed their names and bike models for rent.

"And how many hours would you like to use?" The cashier asked.

"Can't I just buy them?"

"Um no sir. We only rent the bikes."

"I'll buy them for a huge sum of money-"

Before Namjoon could finish, Sowon kicked his shin and pulled him back.

"You don't have to show off your wealth here. Just pay for the rent, why do you want to buy them?"