60 - 육십 장

(Sixtieth chapter)

The silence was too loud to listen.

“Marriage?”

Sowon looked at the scene in front of her, where Namjoon was standing in front of them, glaring at his mother with such an intense gaze while Mrs Kim merely smiles before shaking her head.

“But before we get into that, there must be something to be done.”

“And that is?” Mrs Han asks, narrowing her eyes.

Mrs Kim smiled at her son then at everyone else before setting her sight on Sowon who was still seated in her place, watching the family drama unfold. But when their eyes met, Sowon froze.

“Dearest,” Mrs Kim walks in her direction and before she could react, Sowon's hands were being held by Namjoon's mother. “Forgive me, I did not know that I was talking with my future daughter-in-law instead of a maid.”

Sowon felt chills and when her eyes drifted around, she noticed Namjoon shooting daggers at his mother's hands which were holding her's tight. What is he thinking? She wanted to ask, his thoughts and the reason why he was suddenly being so cold.

“It's okay. . .”

Sowon awkwardly nodded and pulled her hands onto her lap safely. Mrs Kim smiled gratefully before taking a seat next to Mrs Han and Sowon could swear she saw her mother swallow in clear distress.

“Honestly I thought you will be having maids around and live in a big mansion so this misunderstanding happened.”

“Well,” Mr Han laughed forcefully. “Not everyone is successful as you.”

Mrs Kim eyes practically glaze over Sowon's father.

“I agree but that doesn't mean I look down on your family. I still respect you as much as I did, back then.”

Back then? Sowon tried to process the new information, confirming her theory that her parents and Mrs Kim knew each other for a long time.

Someone cleared their throat and everyone looked at Mrs Han whose face was getting red and her expression was no less than an incoming signal of rage and frustration. Sowon knew the expression very well.

It was the same expression her mother rarely had when she would get stressed and cry the whole night. Sowon witnessed it in her childhood but never understood why and forgot her mother used to be so depressed back then because now she was quite changed.

“Mom?”

Mrs Han looked at her and took a deep breath. Sowon grabbed her mother's hand, suddenly feeling the urge to comfort her and protect her. Was she okay? She softly caressed them and noticed her mother giving her a small nod before looking away.

“Alright. Now, we can discuss your sudden appearance Areum.”

Mrs Kim chuckled. “I see you are still the same impatient woman.”

Namjoon took a seat and growled lowly as if he was warning her. “Mother, be serious.”

“I already mentioned about missing my son and wanted to see how he has been, talk about marriage now that I allowed him to stay here for a long time. Was it enough time to get to know each other?”