64 - 육사 장

(Sixty-fourth chapter)

It was here.

Sowon can't believe it, but the time was finally here. The moment she had been preparing for by giving her best, the day which will decide whether her dreams could have wings to fly or never fly again.

Since her childhood, she had been watching how to partake in it. For three whole years, she had been practising to enter the championship. This was it. All her hard work would either bring well-deserved results or a discouraging outlet.

I can do this.

“Sowon?” A voice interrupted her thoughts, “are you ready?”

Maybe, or not. But that didn't matter. She had not drained her blood, sweat and tears all this time, preparing, just to give up before even trying.

“I am.”

Sowon inhaled a deep breath. A hand rubbed her back and she turned to see her mother offering a strained smile.

“You got this honey.”

“Um, sorry for interrupting but we need to go inside as well,” Haneul added.

Mrs Han tsked. “We have to help Sowon calm down Haneul.”

Haneul pouted and turned to look at Sowon from the passenger seat.

“But auntie! Look at her, she is a professional. Sowon will be okay.”

Sowon chuckled and shook her head at the bickering duo, for a moment, forgetting the reason why they were gathered inside the car.

“Okay let's go in, I am ready.”

“Are you sure? Maybe we canㅡ” Mrs Han started worriedly but Haneul's loud exclaim cuts her off.

“Yay let's go!”

Everyone gets out of the car and immediately, the breeze blows into their face with a distant scent. Another car reaches up to Namjoon's parked car and Mrs Kim walks out. She persisted to come alone from her own car since Namjoon's car was full.

“So, are we ready to go in?” she asks.

“Yeah, we were just making sure Sowon is ready.” Mr Han replies.

Mrs Kim glances at Sowon with a smile.

“I am sure she will do well.”

Mrs Kim then speaks about how there are so many people in the arena, while Mr and Mrs Han converse about something. Haneul seems excited as she stands beside Sowon, practically jumping every two seconds when she sees a handsome guy.

On the other hand, Sowon's eyes are focused, not on the arena but someone. Namjoon stands beside the car rigidly, hands in his pocket and head hung low. It has been forever since he refused to meet her eyes or make an attempt for any conversation except for an awkward greeting and distance. As if they were only strangers and nothing more.

And that thought pained her.

She shook her head.

Today is not the day to be sad or distracted. She had a dream to fulfil, a competition to win. They made their way towards the entrance, registering names and filling out necessary forms. Then a staff calls out for Sowon to come in backstage and wait alongside other participants.

“This is it Sowon, all the best.”

Mr Han encourages with a smile. She nods.

Sowon glances back at her family who had all come to watch her perform and give their support, her heart twisting with gratitude. They all wished her luck, of course, with the exception of her fianceè and Sowon disappeared behind the backstage.