66 - 육육 장

(Sixty-sixth chapter)

Happiness.

Everyone has a different meaning attached to it. Some associate with family or favourite hobby, maybe their only escape from reality. For Sowon, it has always been dance.

Or so she thought.

Ever since she could tell, Sowon kept everything at a distance from her vulnerable heart except for dance. It was the unique way through which she could propagate herself. That was a fact, for all her life. Until he came along.

“Sowon, come here please.”

Like an obedient puppy, Sowon followed the voice into the kitchen and noticed her mother standing by the counter, busy.

“Yes, mom?”

Mrs Han turns around, a tray of neatly sliced fruits assorted.

“Here,” Sowon takes the tray in confusion as her mother continues, “I cut up the fruits you like.”

Surprised, Sowon only mutters a word.

“Huh?”

Mrs Han looks away. “J-Just eat them or don't. Whatever you want.”

Her mother leaves the kitchen and Sowon frowns. She sits, staring at the tray of fruits while pondering what her mother wanted from her.

Is she actually trying to show affection for me in her own way?

Sowon almost scoffs at her thoughts. It was ridiculous. Her mother never put any effort to try mending their relationship, not until recently. All of a sudden, the stern and stubborn facade was gone. Her mother was now more quiet, inactive, forgetful and hesitant.

Almost as if she had lost all her confidence, or worse. . .depressed.

“No way, that makes no sense.”

Whatever the case was, Sowon knew that her mother was a fighter and dominant. Mrs Han was a ruler, not someone to be ruled over. There was no way that such a feisty and strong woman could possibly be depressed for no apparent reason, right?

That's what Sowon thought.

“Oh Sowon, you're here.”

Mr Han enters the kitchen with a smile. He picks and eats some of the sliced fruits that Sowon offers him.

“Yeah.”

Her father sits down next to her.

“Everything good?”

“Yes? I mean it should be. . .” Sowon pauses. “But I don't feel it.”

Her father nods and pats her back.

“That happens Sowon, take your time.”

Sowon musters a fake smile but drops it. She didn't have to act like she was okay when her father knows everything. He was her anchor, balancing her life in every way.