50 - 오십 장

(Fiftieth chapter)

"Take the courage before it's too late."

Haneul's words stuck like a magnet in Sowon's mind, repeating like a never-ending radio broadcast. She tried to push the thoughts aside, the rapid beating of her heart when she unintentionally recalled the previous moments she had just spent inside her best friend's room.

"Oh Sowon, are you already leaving? But I just made tea for you."

Mrs Yoo appeared with a cup of tea in her hand, frowning when she noticed Sowon heading for the door. Sowon turned to offer an apologetic smile.

"Sorry, Mrs Yoo but I have some work to do so I must leave now."

"It is sad you don't even get the chance to come around much."

"I hope when Haneul feels better, maybe I can come for a sleepover and we can have fun like the old days."

Mrs Yoo finally smiled, her eyes beaming as she seemed to recall the memories.

"Indeed, it's been so long. We should do that, especially since now that you will get married and leave soon."

Marry and leave.

Those words hit her like a ton of bricks and Sowon forced a smile, trying to appear happy when in truth she was feeling more uneasy and jittery from all the overthinking she was doing today.

"Of course. Then I'll be leaving now."

Before Mrs Yoo could stop Sowon and remind her about other things which she did not need to remember now, quickly she bowed and left the house, picking up her pace to leave the area.

Before she could walk out of the gate an arm appeared in front of her and Sowon's eyes bulged as she almost collided into it, stopping herself on time.

"What the-"

"Why were you running out in such a hurry?"

Namjoon's voice sent a shiver down her spine and Sowon kept her gaze on his extended arm, feeling wary.

"N-Nothing."

"Is she okay?"

"Who?"

She gazed up carefully to notice him rolling his eyes.

"Your friend, Haneul. Wasn't she sick?"

"Oh. . .yeah, she is doing better."

There was an awkward silence and Sowon had no idea to break it. Namjoon retracted his arm back, just standing in front of her without making any eye contact or sparing her a glance.

So she decided to leave first, taking few more steps ahead by brushing aside Namjoon. Hopefully, she can make it out without needing to look at him. She didn't need any weird feelings to screw her decisions for today.

But her luck did not seem to agree.

"Hey, where are you running off again?"

Namjoon saw her walking away and immediately grabbed her coat, almost as if he was fearful of letting her go. Oddly the thought seemed to evoke a series of unexplainable reactions because now, he was feeling somehow down. The burden of his previous thoughts did not seem to help either.

"Um, going home?"

Sowon stood dumbly on the spot she was held on, cursing at herself for not quickly walking away when she had the chance. Forget walking, I should have run, she scourged while the male took his time to turn the girl around so they could finally see each other.