65 - 육오 장

(Sixty-fifth chapter)

“Sowon!”

Before the said girl could react, a rush of wind passes by and she is immediately engulfed in a tight and warm hug. The person smelt of fresh lemonade and mint, pleasantly invading her nostrils.

Hoseok broke apart their hug and grinned at her.

“You were so amazing.”

“Thanks, Hoseok, you know that means a lot to me.”

He shook his head, “no, no. You have to realise how mesmerising was your performance up there, and it was just level one challenge!”

Sowon offered a strained smile, glad to see her best friend this supportive. But she would not lie, she was exhausted. After spending time in the washroom wondering what could go wrong, it is comforting to have support.

“Was I, now?”

Hoseok nodded. “Gosh I should have recorded it but I was so engrossed that the idea slipped out of my mind.”

Sowon realised how much Hoseok was happy and excited about her performance as if he had won something when in truth, it was all about Sowon plus, the results were not even announced yet. And she couldn't have asked for a better friend than him.

She decided to not let his hope down.

“Well you know, I am usually charming but I don't use my charms enough.”

“Charms? Sowon you are the whole damn diamond.”

She laughed as they hugged again.

“Did I make you fall for me then?”

As soon as she spoke the words, she felt him stiffen. Shoot. Why did she always have to say the wrong things at a good time? But Hoseok hugged her even tighter, as if afraid to let her go.

“Yeah, you always did. I guess today was even more than yesterday.”

Sowon felt herself go numb.

She was still holding onto him, but mentally, she felt detached. What were they doing right now? It was friendship, she thought and believed. But every time Hoseok's demeanour changed with the mention of love or marriage and Sowon forces herself to change the subject.

What am I even doing right now?

Was she so desperate for love that she was clinging on to someone she was hurting? But Sowon was hurting too and she needed a shoulder to rely on. Hoseok was a friend she never wanted to lose.

She tries to break their hug but Hoseok holds on tightly.

“Hoseokㅡ”

Someone cleared their throat and immediately, the duo parted from one another, turning back to see Namjoon standing there with a stoic expression.

“Am I interrupting something important?”

“Um, no.”

Namjoon looks at Hoseok who scratches his neck before at Sowon whose cheeks was flushed red.

“The, uh, staff are calling all the participants on the stage if you didnt hear.”