41 -사십일 장

(Forty-first chapter)

"So only today?"

Namjoon glanced at the girl complaining from the backseat of the car through the rear mirror before chuckling, shaking his head and focused on driving again.

"Tell me, uncle, do you really have important work?"

Mr Han, who was sitting beside Haneul, offered her a smile. But his daughter's friend was not convinced of it and she still had a lot of questions to ask.

"But what kind of work? They can't even give you three or four days leave?"

"Haneul."

Sowon warned, turning from her passenger seat to shoot an annoyed glare at her best friend who only stuck out a tongue before drawing closer to her father who was now laughing at the random situation.

Sowon was wondering if her parents were comfortable in the back but to her surprise, Haneul had made good company by offering some jokes and insulting her father's company in between.

"You know, I am also feeling bummed."

Mrs Han spoke, trying to form a pout on her mouth. Since she was seated right behind Sowon, her husband and Haneul were cramping up space without her inclusion.

Haneul leaned a bit, her seatbelt still strapped and helping her rely on the natural bounce as she glanced at Sowon's mother.

"Why is that auntie?"

Mrs Han stared back at Haneul before glimpsing at her husband seated in the middle and dragged a dramatic sigh.

"I hoped for us to all go on a long and nice trip but his company did not even allow that to happen."

With Mrs Han speaking the fact, the tension in the car rose and Sowon rolled her eyes because she knew how dramatic her mother was. Namjoon cleared his throat, shifting the gear into a smoother transition.

"Don't worry Mrs Han, it happens."

"I agree. At least I got the day off to spend with everyone."

Mr Han smiled to himself and Haneul pretended to be touched by his words as she clenched her chest, wiping a fake tear.

"The sacrifice uncle gave us, let's not waste it."

Thanks to Haneul's lighthearted jokes and mood, the tension disappeared and everyone inside the car chuckled. Even Mrs Han snickered to herself, somehow managing to find the truth in her daughter's best friend's words.

Sowon relaxed in her seat, closing her eyes momentarily as felt her back stretching. The soft murmur of whines and playful jokes behind gave her some relief that at least her family was happy. Not that she was not.

"Do you need anything?"

Namjoon asked her, glimpsing at her as he controlled the steering. Sowon managed to offer a mischievous smile before peeling her eyes open.

"What, you will give if I asked?"

"Try me."

"Then give me food. Lots of chocolates, strawberry milkshakes, tteobboki, fried chicken, pizza, carbonara, pickled radish, bibimbap, kimbap and many more."