53 - 오심삼 장

(Fifty-third chapter)

Sowon was now a changed woman.

There is still a lot of contradictions and irony in this statement, one she wanted to believe was true. Ever since life has been throwing lemons at her, Sowon had done nothing more than complain and detest everything around her, especially the people who love her.

But now she has learnt to stop crying about it and found a way, perhaps a temporary solution.

“Ah, I can’t do this.”

Sowon threw the phone on her bed, staring at it with warm tears nearly forming in her eyes. Everything she had faced and learnt from until now, the courage and humility she had gathered all disappeared into thin air when she saw the name on her phone screen.

The name that made her feel alive a long time back, the one and the only person who had been there for Sowon in the ups and downs of her teenage life. He was her only hope back then, but now it felt like she was not supposed to exist when the old bitter memories came back.

Jung Hoseok.

Hoseok. The name circulated in her mind in a never-ending motion, making her wonder how much time had passed since they last saw each other. She had hurt him, over and over again when his only mistake was to give his broken heart for her to damage even further.

Was he still mad at her?

"No, I am not done yet-" Sowon started protesting but stopped when Hoseok shook his head, sniffing.

"But I am done with you Sowon."

The scene was fresh cut and stuck like a broken record playing over and over even though it was some months back. Time passed by without any sense or warning but the mess of emotions in her heart was still stirred every single time.

“I am a coward for backing out before but I need to try this time.”

Sowon tried some breathing exercises to calm her beating heart down. Then grabbing the phone she selected the particular and froze when three icon options appeared for her to choose from.

Video call, Voice call or Message.

The first one was a no go. Sowon knew Hoseok hated her and calling him with her shameless face would probably land her number to get blocked from him. It was surprising how the male had still not blocked or deleted Sowon's number, even after everything.

She did not know if calling with a hoarse voice or typing a stupid message was best because all of them gave her a different type of anxiety. After many dilemmas, she chose the Message option.

“First obstacle is gone. Second, now what do I even write to him?”

Indeed after spending ten minutes trying to find a good sentence to apologise, Sowon found nothing and settled on a simple word.

SOWON:
Hoseok?

That seemed like the world's dumbest text sent by a girl to a guy, especially when she was supposed to write a sincere and touching paragraph. Sowon's heart almost leapt out of her mouth when she saw that Hoseok read the message she had just sent.

HOSEOK:
ㅡ . . . is (typing)

Without her knowledge, the air got stuck in her throat and she stared at the screen, looking at the little dots that were moving on the left side of the screen. Was he going to reply her? Would she be blocked? But her hope was squandered when the dots stopped moving and she was left on read.