Chapter 106 - Quintessential

quintessential
adjective
1. representing the most perfect or typical example of a quality or class.

I had already asked Wallace a few of these types of questions regarding disaster relief management prior to the events happening and received many of the same ideas from him as I did from his senior father. Grandpa Overmeyer though, seemed much more drawn into the conversation of 'What If', more so than my mother or step father. It was an informative conversation filled with guidance and the opinions of an experienced elder.

Half way through I had to ask Butler Jules for a pen and paper to take notes with as I'd left my school bag downstairs. He kindly handed me an empty spiral bound notebook and I utilised it well. By the time our two hour conversation finished, it was well past my bedtime and I had already begun to yawn, hiding it behind my hand.

"I think that's enough for now, Lily. I'm always here whenever you'd like to chat further on this or anything else. But its getting late and we're keeping Jules away from his beauty sleep." Grandpa Overmeyer chuckled.

I turned to the butler who hadn't moved from the entrance of Wallace's office since he handed me a notebook and pen, and I could see the twinkle in his eyes as he pretended to yawn for Mr Overmeyer Senior's sake.

I giggled at their antics, but agreed that it was indeed time for sleep.

"Thank you Grandpa. I really appreciate your advice and wealth of experience. I hadn't thought of a lot of things you'd mentions and the implications of some of the immature ideas that I had. I have a lot to think over now. Thank you." I stood up carefully as Jules handed me my crutch. I gave Grandpa a small bow of thanks and followed Butler Jules out of the study.

"Your room has been set up, much the same as the last time you visited us, Ms Twice. Please let me lead you the way." Butler Jules lead me through the manor.

"Thank you, Butler Jules." Normally I'd be OK finding my way to the designated guest room that had become mine in Grandma and Grandpa Overmeyer's huge manor, but I was still on crutches and wobbly from tiredness. I followed him into a lovely lilac and lace inspired room and said goodnight.

I showered, changed into one of my own lounge ware samples that was waiting for me on the bed and slept the sleep of a thousand nights.

University classes the next day involved management and economics. Grant was in my last class of the day, giving Patricia time away to do other things she was responsible for. After class I followed Grant to study in the university library. I had three minor assessments due next week and a group online study project that needed research. Grant was in my group project so we went together.

As we sat down at an empty study desk by the library windows, Grant pulled out a small gift bag and handed it over. It was bright orange, of all things. He knows that I hate orange.

"Gee, thanks. I'll treasure it." I responded sarcastically. "What is it for?" I asked even before I opened it to see what was inside.

Grant grinned saying, "Open it." I did. It was a graphic printed crop sweater top.

"Its a pick-me-up gift. Coz of your mum." He smiled as I thanked him for the gift. "No worried. Read what it says," He demanded.

I opened the crop sweater up and found words on the front. 'Half the fun and Twice as much trouble' with a capital 'T' on the word twice.

"Har har. I'm not that short!" I whisper yelled at my best friend, still getting a shush from the library monitors in the process. "That's just rude!" I commented. "I not that short." I mumbled as I put his gift away, trying to hide my smile. I really loved the gift, but was still annoyed at being called short, again.

We spend a couple of hours studying, researching and typing out our assignments. The research notes were emailed to our fellow groupees for the group assignment. By the time dinner rolled around we were both all studyed-out.

"Wanna grab some pizza from MamaPapa's on the way home?" Grant asked as Patricia slipped into an empty seat next to us, holding up her cellphone camera away from us to record something at the end of our group of study tables. I noticed she made a particular point of sitting in the seat beside me, hiding me away. I looked over to where her cellphone camera was pointed and found two familiar swim jocks hiding behind reference books and magazines. The magazines were making them chortle and I decided I definitely didn't want to know what they were reading.

"Pizza sounds great." I said as I quickly packed up my study books, pens and notebooks and got up to leave the university library.

We made it to the exits when my name was called by an unfamiliar girl's voice.

"Lily Twice? You're Lily Twice? You don't seem like much." Condescension and derision dripped off the snarky comments and I was in no way interested in learning who the voice belonged to. I could tell she was with a group of people behind us and I wasn't interested in talking to them.

I kept hobbling along with Grant beside me, Patricia behind with my bags.

"Keep walking," Patricia mumbled loud enough for both of us to hear her.

"Oy! So rude, just walking away like that. Who does she think she is?" The same voice called out, louder than before and I could tell she was after a confrontation.

"Grant, please open the doors." I asked as I kept walking away.

"Sure thing." He made way for our group to exit the library, but in my hurry to get away from the girls behind us, I walked through the doors and smacked straight into someone coming in the other way.

"Ooof!" I stumbled, losing my balance as I bounced off a very tall, very firm chest.

"Lily!" Grant took a hold of one arm as Tall-Chest-Guy took a hold of the other before I fell over.

"Are you alright?" a deep, familiar voice asked. I looked up to found Mr Carro- Arse in the flesh, A.K.A Joseph Anginelli, which surprized me. Yes, that same fire safety and building compliance officer from the day before. He was so close I could see the faint scattering of pale freckles on the bridge of his nose and the butterfly kissed eye lashes that graces his beautiful eyes. I was so stunned stupid that I forgot to remove my free hand from his chest.

"Are you going to move aside, Miss?" Mr Grumpy commented gruffly, but gently held my arm to make sure I had my balance. Running into him felt like running into a wall, but what a way to feel up that very nice firm 'wall' of pecks and abs.

He quickly let me go, stepped around us then kept on walking into the library reception as if not a single thing had just happened. I looked down at my hand that felt all of that firmness through the thin knitwear that graced his fine frame. I looked up at Grant who was nibbling his lips beside me, looking back over behind us. He looked down at the hand that had touched adonis and slowly reached out to caress it much the same way I found myself doing.

"Keep moving, drool later." Patricia's low voice knocked us both out of our ruminating and we plodded through the library exit and to the student car park. It wasn't until I was being shoved into the SUV that I realised what I had been doing.

"Oh, gah!" I cried out, shamed that I'd let something like that happen to me in public. I buried my head in my arms pretending the world away.

"Oh, hm-hnmmm!" Grant echoed my sentiments but in a totally different way. Stupid boy.