Chapter Twenty - Identifiable

identifiable
adjective
1. able to be recognized; distinguishable

I squirm on my bed feeling uncomfortable, in more ways than one.

"You in pain, honey?" Mum asks.

"A little. Can I get something stronger than paracetamol, please?" I ask Dr Styles.

"Yes, certainly. Now we have a diagnosis, we can proceed onto treatment." He jots down notes prescribing me heavier medication then looks at all of us again.

"I understand that Lily is quite active. She plays multiple sports and runs regularly. Very fit and healthy, but a little underweight for her height and age. I'd like to see her gain up to five more kilograms to get her into a more healthier weight, and I'd like to prescribe a general multi vitamin as her body will now work over time to mend the torn ligament and bruised bone and cartilage." We all nod in agreement to his statements.

"I'm afraid that there isn't a one hundred percent recovery for this type on injury. Many sports people who damage their knees in this way will no longer be able to perform at their best ever again. It is a career ending injury, I'm afraid."

"Oh honey," Mum sits down beside me and pulls me into a hug. Tears silently roll down my face, but I realise going into sports isn't where I wanted to take my life. But I can't help but grieve anyway.

"Its OK. I didn't want to get into sports professionally anyway. I just want to enjoy myself and keep fit and healthy. I'm sure I could take up something like swimming to compensate."

"That's the spirit, Kiddo." Wallace pats me on the shoulder and the doctor clears his throat.

"For now, we will need to wait for 24 to 48 hours until the swelling goes down, then we will book you in for surgery. The sooner we get the ligament repaired, the faster the recover will take and the greater the success rate will be. If the swelling hasn't gone down enough within two days we just play things by ear."

"Who will perform the surgery?" Wallace asks.

"A collogue of mine, Dr Prynne is an orthopaedic surgeon here at the hospital. He's the best in the city in his field and I trust him to get your leg back on the mend." Dr Styles nodded with a smile.

"OK, that sounds great. Should I come with you now to get the paper work started," mum asks as she follows the elder doctor out of the room.

This isn't going to be a cheap reconstruction surgery, nor hospital before and after care. The physio therapy, leg brace, crutches, medication... I can't help but worry about the cost.

"I'll cover everything, Lily." I look up at Wallace wondering if he can read my mind.

"No I can't read your mind but the worry on your face after your mum mentioned the paper work, it wasn't hard to put two and two together."

I giggle at him, and cover my mouth, then shake my head.

"I can't let you do that, Sir. I don't want to be a burden on you and your family."

"So does that mean you aren't apart of our family? Does that mean you wont accept our love and care, both emotionally, materially and financially? Do you plan on breaking your mother's heart when you tell her that you don't want us to care for you as parent's should?" He is staring at me, his dragon emperor aura swirling around the room declaring himself boss of this situation and that what his says goes.

It makes me almost want to pee myself in fright.

"Can you put the dragon emperor aura away, scared little girl here." I wasn't ashamed to admit it.

The sheepish look on his face was enough to cut through the tension.

"Thank you, Mr Overmeyer, now can I talk to Wallace, my step dad, please?"

"Cheeky." But at least he's now smiling.

"OK, first off, I do want to be apart of your family, and I love being apart of your family already, but I do not want to bludge off you nor be accused of bludging off you. If we do this, you paying for my medical expenses, it will be a long term loan."

"Interest free loan with formal contract." He nodded in agreement.

"I can work with that. But I am the signer, not my mother. I will owe the money, not her."

"She will have to co-sign as guardian as you aren't old enough."

"Nope. I get myself a lawyer and they will sign. I will be in debt to you, not my mum. Understand?" I didn't have to spell out that if they break up or divorce that I didn't want her caught up in it all.

"I can work with that. But it really isn't necessary. I want to pay for your surgery and care because your my daughter."

"But I'm not, am I? I haven't been adopted by you, and you wouldn't have even thought about that if it wasn't for this accident. I am Umbre Twice's daughter and until that changes, I can't take anything belonging to you, Mr Overmeyer. Can you please keep all this to yourself? Don't tell my mum about our agreement, please?"

He nods and pats me on the head.

"Thank you Wallace. I appreciate it. So, any chance I can get a decent cup of coffee? Starving patient, here!"