Chapter Fifty Eight - Breach

breach
noun
1. an act of breaking or failing to observe a law, agreement, or code of conduct
2. a gap in a wall, barrier, or defence, especially one made by an attacking army
verb
1. make a gap in and break through (a wall, barrier, or defence)
2. (of a whale) rise and break through the surface of the water

We arrived at the Overmeyer Tower not long after school finished and took the lift up, greeted the new receptionist and entered Wallace's office.

He was on the phone and waved me to the white sofa seating to the side, out of the way.

"Yes, but if you take the left over stock from the previous project and transplant it into the new, we can double the profit for half the cost. I want to see a report on this on my desk in two days, yes. OK. I will have Geoffries look into that, no, leave that with me. Anything else?" He paused while he listened for a bit to the other person on the phone. "OK, I can handle that. Leave the press to my assistant, and I'll ask with my secretary to make an appointment with the Mayor, early next week. He's been bragging about a new golfing driver for the last two weeks, so I have to and see how it compares to his last. OK, you take care of yourself. A meal? How about we get this project out of the way first, then we'll arrange dinner at the Hyatt for the teams involved." He gave warm salutations and hung up his phone.

"Give me a moment, Lily, I'll just make a few more phone calls and be with you."

"That's OK, take your time, Wallace." I took the drink of water the secretary arrived and thanked her and watched as Patricia walked out of the office with the nice looking lady. They spoke politely to each other as they left.

"I like your new secretary, she seems nice. Not ever-so stuck up as the last." I said this as Wallace walked over to the couch area after making his appointments and calls.

"Yes, Stacey Overmeyer. She is my third uncle's niece. She has worked her way up in the company for thirteen years and is really good at her job."

"Thirteen years. Gotta keep a hold of an employee like that."

"Yes, you do. Now what can I help you with today?" He leaned back and placed a foot over his other knee.

"My laptop was stolen from the mansion and ended up at school where it was handed to a guy named Dunsten Fredricks who was paid to unlock it for the supposed owner who forgot their password. He did it, for cash, and gave it back unlocked."

"Yes, I heard the details from your assistant and the head of security at the estate. I've already fired the maids involved, and the police have them in custody. A report was sent to me by Mr Denault."

"I have informed the school office, in case it turns up there."

"It was delivered back to your bedroom shortly after school ended by a second maid. She was arrested, but we think she wasn't involved, just told to put it away in your room."

"Dunsten signed on with me two days ago, as a contract worker for my new app project for Pyrus Projects as my new app builder, coder and designer. He's in breach of contract and the NDA that was signed prior to the contract signing. I informed him of this and he now thinks it was a set up." I sigh and rub my face.

"I can see this is difficult for you. And I've noticed you haven't said anything about Eyva's role in all of this. But I will let this go for now, as I can see you have bigger problems to resolve. How can I help?"

"I like this guy's work. He's brilliant, but stupid. He's a black net hacker with an intelligent handle on the industry, which means his morals are somewhat questionable. But he is brilliant. He can do in one week what would take a team of programmers in a third world nation to do in a month. I want him to work with us and I want him on the team, but he's gone and screwed things up even before we've started. I need your advice."

"Between one and ten, ten being can't not manage without his expertise, where does he stand in your opinion?"

"Eight for work ethic, twenty for skill, two for brains and moral code. I want to work with him, Wallace. But should I really?"

"Ah, this is one of those questions that every fine business man or woman always comes up against in their life long careers. That and deciding on the ergonomic office chair that costs five grand more than the base model. My advice, always go for the expensive model, saves your back every time." He smiles, trying to lighten up the load.

"Hee hee hee. I'll try to remember that."

"I can help you sit down with this Dunsten Fredricks and have your lawyer outline the breech of contract, a new contract will need to be revised and signed, and you will need to come to an agreement to settlement for damages made."

"Do I have to?" I didn't want to be perceived as the bad guy.

"Yes, it has to hurt him for him to realise he needs to change. If it doesn't hurt his bottom dollar, then he will not change his attitude. I'm guessing you asked him to stay off the dark net while he's contracted to you?"

"Yes, we have that agreement. I think maybe half his pay as damages?"

"Eighty percent, at least. He's 18 years old, still at home and only just now learning pretty major life lessons. Make him hurt."

"I don't want to be the bad guy," I whined.

"Then don't be. That's what your lawyer is there for. Let him play bad cop."

"I get to be good cop? Cool!"

"OK, do your homework, then I'll have my secretary bring everyone up at four." He got up off the couch and went back to his desk to work.

I like Wallace. He's a really neat guy, fantastic business mentor, and a great father. Though, I'm not sure I can imagine him as my father figure right now, it is too soon after my dad passed away. I rub my sore knee, feeling the bruised pain deep under the knee cap that is still healing.

So much has changed. Dad passed away only a month or so ago, but it feels like a decade. And now I'm not playing any sports or running any more. This isn't so strange either as I haven't played anything really, since my university days. I played a week of it after my rebirth before I had my knee accident, but I don't feel as broken about it all as I did.

I pondered life, the universe and everything for half an hour until our guests arrived.