Chapter Sixty Three - Pontificate

pontificate
verb
1. express one's opinions in a pompous and dogmatic way

"Wallace? Can I ask you for a favour, please?" We were sitting down to dinner on Wednesday night, three nights before the Overmeyer annual business banquet. I had received a formal invitation, much like the timeline 'before'. But this time I actually felt welcomed to attend.

"What can I help you with, Lily?" Wallace stops feeding Jack and leans his elbows on the table, much like he would his desk in his office. I place my cutlery down beside my dinner plate and follow his exact actions, elbows on the table, hands held together before me.

"I'd like to attend your business banquet as a business partner, not a family member." I left it at that. He knew what I was asking straight away.

"You'd like your company team to attend as well."

"Yes, please." I nodded with a smile.

"I can make that happen, is three seats enough?" He asks.

"Four, please. Mr Anderson is still my CEO and will need to be invited as well." He was probably already invited via mum's company invitations, but I wanted to offer the elder lawyer an invitation for Pryus Projects as well.

Wallace pulls out his phone and checks something on it.

"Mr Anderson is already on the attendance list, but I don't mind giving you another invitation." He puts his phone down and leans back, watching me. I have a think about what he is waiting for, who expects me to invite instead, but I have no idea. None of the estate staff usually attend the event. Jack is too young and will be staying home. His grandparents will have already been invited. I don't have a boyfriend, nor any other business partners at this stage.

Hmmmmm. I look back up at Wallace and decide to just wing it with an answer he is looking for.

"Teresa and Carlie Abernathe are daughters to media mogul Mr Abernathe from Sydney. I'd like to invite the two of them, mainly to build friendships and future networking partnerships. I'd like to invite Patricia as well, but I believe she wont come. She is laying low from her ex. Grant is another I'd like to attend as a business partner. So four, the twins, Grant and Mr Anderson. Is this OK?" My step dad gives me a great smile and a nod.

"I'm glad you're making friends at your new school. I know the twin's father well. It would be good for you to network with the two of them. What about your dress for the night? Have you organised everything? I know your mother has been incredibly busy training up new staff in her firm. Do you need me to take you shopping?"

"Aaahhh..." Wallace take me shopping? At the mall? With him and me? I think something blew apart in my mind. The CEO of the biggest corporation in the city is asking to take me shopping... Does. Not. Compute.

"I can have Stacy, my assistant clear up some time in my schedule for this afternoon..." Before he finishes his suggestion, I yell out that I've got it covered.

"It's OK! I have a dress already. I went shopping a few weeks ago and found a dress for the event."

"A few weeks ago?" He tidied up Jac-Jac and passed him over to a maid who would lead him to clean up for kindergarten. He thanked her and turned back to me to find out, probably how I knew about the event so soon, but Eyva walked into the room and sat down, waiting to be served.

"Morning Daddy." She took a sip of her drink, ignoring everyone else in the room. The brows on Wallace's face pinched together in a frown.

"Good morning, Eyva. Please acknowledge your step sister at the table."

"Yes, Daddy. Good morning, Lily." The smile dropped from her face as she turned to me and spoke in a neutral voice.

"Good morning, Eyva. Do you have a gown for the banquet on the weekend?"

"Of course I do." I could almost hear the scoff in her voice. She then ignored me and spoke to her 'Daddy' about her plans for the weekend and who she was bringing along. It turned into a session of her showing off how many more friends and connections she had, proud of herself to be the daughter of Wallace Overmeyer.

Wallace indulged her for the next little while and I finished my breakfast. I bid them both a good day and got up and hobbled out of the breakfast sun room with my crutches.

"Oh, Lily?" I turned back as Wallace called out to me, just before I left the room.

"Yes, Wallace?"

"The dress code is black tie. A white or black dress will be appropriate."

"Yes, I know. Thank you." And off I went. I don't think he believed me when I told him I had an appropriate dress. I do. It is a gorgeous little midi dress in grey on white lurex jaquard fabric. At nearly six hundred dollars, my new Vallance designer gown is sure highlight my curvy but toned figure. It is a sleeveless little number with a round neck. Sophisticated with an emphasis on my shoulders and arms, perfect for taking away focus on my healing knee. And best of all, I can have the A line hem shortened after I get my knee scar surgically fixed up.

But honestly? The lurex jaquard fabric was to die for. Very flashy, very chic. I will look really beautiful in it, even if I do say so myself. All right, enough pontificating. Time to get to school.

School went pretty much as expected. Art history, mathematics, art and English going really well, everything bombing a truck load. I didn't even bother to turn up to business class as the teacher didn't like me at all. Everything was going fine, until I was called to the principals office over the loud speaker, while in my English class.

"Ms Twice. Lily Twice. Please come to the main office for an inquiry. Ms Twice to the main office. Thank you."

And it begins.