Chapter Twenty Three - Polymorphism

polymorphism
noun
1. the condition of occurring in several different forms

The Witch with a capital B turned up the next morning. With Grant. He looked wretched. I took one look at him, all closed off and really, really pissed.

"Hi, good morning, sister." Eyva waltzed into my VIP room with a bunch of peonies that smelled terrible. She dumped them, vase and all on the floor next the bathroom then parked her tush on the seat by the door and took her phone out of her purse. And that was it.

"Grant, please grab the curtain." I pointed the security curtain around my bed. He moved and half closed me inside the pastel green coloured fabic. He left most of the right side of the room open, just closed Eyva off.

"Thanks. How are you doing? Did Mrs H yell at you when you got home last night?" I wiggled my eyebrows. "Nice shiner you're sporting there, bud."

I get a smile out of him, then he rolls his eyes and blonks down on the seat next to my bed. I pulled my phone out and wrote a text and handed it over to him to read.

"Does it still hurt?" I asked him out loud as he read. [She will take pics of me like this if I don't use the curtain.] is what I had written out on my phone.

He looked at me and nodded.

"Yes." It was an answer to both sentences.

"What did your mum say?" I asked out loud. [Pass me your phone.]

He passes his phone quietly over, unlocked, while talking about how his mum patched him up and kept it pretty boring. Boring enough for Eyva to sigh in the background.

"Sorry, Eyva if I'm keeping you. If you could, would you ask the nurse to bring me another ice pack or two?"

"If I must." was all she said before stomping out of the room in her ten inch Louis Vuitton pumps.

I add myself into his contact list with my phone number and send me an empty text. Then I put his phone on silent and hand it back. Eyva actually did retrieve the nurse, but didn't ask her what I needed so I had to explain to the nurse again that I needed some more pain killers and another ice pack. The nurse was different this morning, a young lady a little older than me called Monica. She wasn't as friendly as Nurse Betty from yesterday, but I have a feeling that had something to do with Eyva.

"I'll got get your ice and pain meds, then I'll take your observations. Be right back." At least she had a smile available to share.

"Thanks, see you soon," I said in a sickly sweet voice. Eyva sighed again straight away.

"What's wrong, Eyva? Do you need to be somewhere? You don't have to hang around on my account." Please go away was what I was thinking. I just wanted her to go.

"No, I told Dad and Brooke that I'd visit with you this morning. I'll leave when I have my next appointment."

I look at Grant and raise my eyebrows and text him. [Shouldn't she be at school today?] He read the message then shrugged his shoulders.

[Should I ask her Dad?] He shook his head frantically in the negative.

[Don't have a kitten. I can feign ignorance.] My turn to shrug.

I then send a text to both Mum and Wallace.

[Good morning, Parental Units. Thank you for the flowers. Grant and Eyva have arrived, but I wasn't sure if Mrs H was bring breakfast or not. Should I have Grant go buy me some?]

[Breakfast should have arrived with Eyva.] Mum replied.

The nurse arrived as I was leaning over to show Grant the message. His face instantly changed and he growled silently. Yes, one of those silent rumbles that comes out more breath than noise.

The nurse lays the ice packs gently on my sore knee then resettles the blankets around me. I'm wearing the same hot pink undies as yesterday since I have showered yet. I didn't mean to give Grant an eyeful, but he wasn't perturbed at all. I ignore the incident and continue texting to Mum and Wallace.

[Something happened to breakfast, I don't know what. Eyva has an appointment to go to soon, not sure where.] I text to my mum.

[Have Grant get you something. He will be reimbursed.] Wallace replied.

[OK, sweet as. Between the two of us, we'll get it sorted.]

I quietly ask if Grant has had breakfast, then ask him to pass me my wallet form the top draw beside the bed. I hand him over a 50 dollar bill.

"Eggs benedict with salmon, please. Two hash browns, extra sauce and an OJ please."

After giving my order Eyva scoffs and I know it because I've ordered so much food. Grant heads off to get us both some breakfast. I didn't even bother to ask if Eyva wanted anything. She destroyed the first lot. She doesn't deserve a second.

"That sounds like a good hearty breakfast." The nurse comments, trying to ease the tension. Her eyes are looking through the curtain to the interloper in the corner. Then she turns back to me with a look of concern on her face. I shake my head and smile at her.

"My doctor yesterday said I was underweight. He ordered more calories in my diet until I put on another five kilos."

"Oh, that makes sense. I wish I had that problem."

Eyva snorts and giggles. At me or the nurse, I'm not sure. The nurse blushes quietly and I feel bad for her.

"Oh, sorry, I just read something funny on my website. I had a reader post a video of a kitten walking off a table top. It was really cute." Eyva giggled again then stood up and moved closer to the curtain and stepped into view.

"I'm not disturbing you, Sister, am I?" Her voice was sickly sweet. Like corn syrup poured over heated marsh mellow.

"Oh, no. Its OK," I reply, but my face says I'm sorry for the rude relative in the room. I give the nurses hand a squeeze and she smiles back at me.

"I heard from Dad last night what happened, and I wanted to come this morning to see if you needed any help. Can I bring you anything from home?" If you didn't know this freakin psycho, you'd think she actually cared.

"That's really sweet of you, Eyva." I refuse to call her sister ever again. "I was just thinking about asking mum for a book to read, but then I realised I can download it onto my phone, so I'm all good. Thank you anyway." Hahaha, two can play her game. She briefly scowls then smiles again.

"OK, then. I'll just sit here for a bit. Let me know if I can get you anything, OK?" She is all sunshine and rainbows and unicorn farts. I nod my thanks then start texting on my phone as the nurse finishes up.

"Your blood pressure has come back to within normal ranges again since yesterday. I'll only take your observations again in another four hours this time. And it looks like the swelling has gone down on your knee."

"Thank you," I say but I hold up my phone for her to read the message.

[Please do NOT leave me here alone with that girl. I do NOT feel safe alone with her.] And I didn't. Not because I knew what she was capable of but because I didn't feel like she was here visiting with me as a social call.

The nurse called me and pressed the nurse call button next to the bed.

"I think we should be able to fit a brace on your leg this morning and get you up to the toilet for a shower. How does that sound?" She asked and I was ever so grateful.