Chapter 134 - Retroactive

retroactive
adjective
1. descriptive of any event or stimulus or process that has an effect on the effects of events or stimuli or process that occurred previously.
2. affecting things past.

"Wallace, are you free now?" I knocked then called out.

"Come in, Lily. I wont be a moment." Wallace's assistant opened his door for him. I nodded my thanks and parked myself on one of Wallace's overstuffed leather seats. Wallace took another six or seven minutes to finish his call while I went over email and messages on my phone.

Patricia updated me on funds paid to event managers, models, the guys and catering and technical staff. There were a load of other payments as well, but she had those covered. The security were paid from estate funds and parking as well. I was pleased that we didn't go over a million dollars on the whole costs. I felt it was well worth it though.

I sent Patricia a quick message back, to say thanks and told her to take some time off this week if she needed it. She replied that she didn't need time off and was fine to continue. What an amazing woman. I really struck gold with this personal assistant. She was incredible in business administration and management.

I momentarily felt a little guilty in taking her away from the business man who found and rescued her in her previous life. Only momentarily. I know for a fact that Patricia is happier than she has ever been since her divorce, that includes in both lifetimes.

"Lily, thank you for waiting." Wallace walked over and sat on a chair adjacent to the one I was sitting in.

"No problems, Dad. Anyway, I was going over the financials paid for the event yesterday. Patricia has it all sorted." I looked up at the handsome blond man. He was sitting there, looking at me with a slight grin on his face, looking amused or happy or something. I couldn't quite tell.

"Wallace?" I called as he hadn't said anything since before he sat down.

"You called me Dad."

"I did?" Stunned, I thought back to our brief conversation and realised I'd let it slip. "Sorry, I didn't mean to." I covered my mouth, annoyed that it had passed my lips without me realising. I was worried that he'd be angry at me.

"You know, I see you as my daughter, Lily. Every bit as much as Eyva is. Blood or no blood, when I married your mother, you also became mine, Lily. Feel free to call me Dad, any time." He grinned at me, amused at the shocked look on my face.

I felt my eyes get hot all of a sudden and a knot lumped in my throat and I couldn't say anything for a moment. I didn't want to cry in front of this man, not again. I stared at the shag carpet, wondering if this was what I actually wanted. I thought about my own father. He was sick for a long time and wasn't really able to father me for a couple of years at the end of his life. He passed away so many years ago for me, but in this time line, it was only a few months ago.

I looked up at Wallace and watched him watching me. There was no pressure coming from him to give in to his demands or suggestion that he become my father, but to be honest, with everything that had happened lately, the gifts, the business mentoring, the building and café, even the show last night. It went a long way to patching the damage in our relationship of my last life time with him and my Mum. It is a complete contrast to how things used to be. Like the difference between rotten mould and star light, the difference is so vast.

"Um..." I didn't know how to answer him. He was actually asking me to call him dad, to be my father.

"Take your time. When you are ready, I'll be happy to have adoption papers drawn up. You just let me know." Wallace's words were firm, but the smile was still on his face. He was being serious.

"I'm already eighteen, Wallace. Um..." I felt that there was no need. I didn't need his legal guardianship, nor did I want to get involved with any inheritance squabbles. Although, with Eyva no longer being blood related, there was a clear pathway for JacJac to inheriting everything. I was pleased about this.

"I don't want to get in the way of JacJac's inheritance nor do I want be seen as relying on you for business or finances, Wallace. You've already done more than enough. I know what you did with the Liberty Building back payments. That was tricky, but I learned my lesson with reading contracts carefully." I carefully changed the subject. Talking about adoption and such made me really uncomfortable.

Wallace didn't look upset nor angry at my yabbering. He still looked slightly amused. I suddenly felt silly, immature in front of the multi-billionaire business mogul.

"Sorry," I apologised, realising he'd seen right through me.

"When you've had enough of standing on your own two feet, having proved what it is that you need to prove to yourself, I will be waiting – we will be waiting to have you official join our family, Lily. Take the time you need." Wallace got up then went back over his desk and brought back a tablet.

"Now, let's get down to business. The reviews for last night's show have started to be published as early as this morning. So far, everything looks promising." Wallace handed me the tablet where he had tabs opened on the internet browser for various news outlets, reviews of the show yesterday, most looking positive. I browsed through them as Wallace continued to speak.

"I'd like you to post a micro blog on your business social media accounts thanking your sponsors and the contractors you used for the night. Send another tonight with photos of the show, keep it brief, then move your business focus on distribution and orders for the next month. Update a couple of photos each week, but keep it brief and don't go overboard with the self-promotion." I nodded at his suggestions, they were really good.

Wallace spent the next ten minutes to go over more post-show ideas, giving me further advice. Then he asked about the café refurbishments and opening, the Liberty Building and it's upgrades, and he asked me how my studies were going.

An hour later, I was finally released from the Overmeyer estate so I could go back home, eat a quick meal and go to bed. I was free. No more people, no more noise, no more sorting out anything last minute, and no more work.

I visited the café as I arrived at the building. I found Murrieta Murr just about to close up for the day. She was surprised to see me. I quickly assured her I didn't mean to interrupt her activities.

"Sorry, Ms Murr. I have just finished a crazy weekend and wanted to see if there was anything in the café fridge that needed to be used before it's best before date. I thought it would be easier to get something from here than order takeaways." Murrieta Murr let me in and guided me into the kitchen.

"You've come at the right time. There's a batch of scones and ham sandwiches that need to be eaten today. Can I package a few up for you? The head chief is also experimenting on a few different salads for the menu as well. How about a small box of Waldorf salad?" I nodded tiredly, waited for her to package them up and left for home.

Just out of the lift doors on my floor, I found a large pot of blue hyacinth flowers. Apart from the fact that it was the wrong season for hyacinth flowers, I was suitably impressed, and wondered where they came from. The card that came with them had a message for me.

'Ms Twice. Did you know that hyacinth flowers are related to asparagus? I apologies for the recent misunderstandings on my part. Also, congratulations for a show well done. ~ Josephe Anginelli.' Above the vase floated a helium filled foil balloon in the shape of a cute bunny rabbit, much like the bunny I painted for JacJac for the show. This little bunny was sitting and had a contented smile on its face. I re-read the card.

Asparagus. Funny. It made me smile in my tiredness. I brought the flowers inside my apartment, knowing they were safe. The security team wouldn't have delivered me anything that they felt were unsafe. The flowers ended up on the kitchen bench. I ended up in the shower then into bed. It had been a long weekend.