Chapter Twenty One - Exogenous

exogenous
adjective
1. having an external cause or origin
2. attributable to an agent or organism outside the body

"All right, the paper work is done, all sorted for your surgery in the next few days. How are you holding up, honey?" Mum arrives back in the room after Wallace chatted with her quietly outside for a bit. I trust that he won't tell her of our agreement, but you never know. Last timeline, he didn't think highly of me at all, partly because I was a self-entitled little snot, and partly because it didn't take long for Eyva to mess things up for everyone and my reputation within the home hit rock bottom pretty fast.

"Lily?" Mum interrupts my inner monologuing.

"Sorry, mum. Spaced out for a bit. I'm doing OK. My knee really hurts still but I should be getting something new for the pain shortly. Can you help me change my bra? My chest hurts a lot and this underwire bra isn't comfortable." I squirm on my bed, as much as my sore leg would let me.

"Ok, I can do that." She pulls some things out of my bag that she packed for me, including my laptop and phone charger. There is a sports bra that I usually wear over top of my normal push up bras when I'm playing sports. She pulls the curtain around the bed to give me some privacy, then helps me remove tops and bra and helps with getting the soft sports bra on instead. Just as I'm about to put a pyjama top on, someone enters the room.

"Hang on a moment, please," Mum calls out before they can come any further.

"Just me, I'll wait out here." Wallace calls out but before he's left the room again, my top is in place and mum is opening the curtain.

"All good, just helping her change."

"How's Jac-jac? Is he OK? I miss my little fluffy cherub." I know I sound like I'm whining, but I need a distraction from the pain, and the fact I won't be able to play competitive sports again.

"He's with his Grandma. I didn't think it would be OK to bring him in until things are settled for you." I nod my head at Wallace, but then give him puppy dog eyes.

"Can you please bring in my cute little man? I need nuggles..."

"Sure, I can do that while I pick up dinner." Que stomach rumble. Oh, the embarrassment.

"Ha ha ha, I think we need to get her some lunch before then." My mum laughs at me.

"Yep, yep. Feed me Seymour!" I cry out in pretend anguish.

"Rocky horror picture show?" Wallace asks which surprises but me and my mum.

"Yes, how did you know?" I ask.

"Ah, I had a girlfriend once who loved watching it. She even auditioned for a part in the stage show when the local theatre company put it on." His shit-eating grin was huge and I couldn't help but giggle.

"Mum! Hahaha, that is so funny!"

"You remembered?" My mum was shocked, but started laughing too.

"I'll go get the kiddo a meal. Wont be long." Wallace left, laughing out the door just as a nurse came in.

"Hi, Lily Twice? I'm here to check your temp, blood oxygen levels and your blood pressure. We need to do this every hour or so. I also have some strong pain killer that works like anti-inflammatory. We also have something to help with the bruises. I heard you took a tumble?"

Nurse Betty was her name, an older Islander woman who had a cherry disposition. She pottered about and chatted to my mother and I until she'd done her observations and feed me the drugs.

"Looking good, although your blood pressure is up a little. The pain in your knee will account for this I think. I'll be back in an hour or so to check again. See you all soon!"

"Thanks, Betty. See you later."

"Sigh...." I look up at the ceiling, wondering what I'm going to do next. I was planning on starting at my new school tomorrow, but now that's been put off. Then I remembered my shopping bags.

"Mum?" I softly call her as I can see she's in her own little world while sitting on the couch chair next to the hospital bed.

"Hmmm?" She asks and looks my way.

"Did my wallet and shopping arrive from the mall? I don't know what happened to it."

"Yes, Grant picked it all up for you. Including your shampoo and conditioner. He took it all home and said he'd deliver it to your room."

"Do you think he's OK?" She nods.

"Yes, Wallace called his mum Mrs Hepburn and explained what happened and gave them a few days off for him to recover."

"I'm so sorry this happened to him. I was so upset with the way those guys treated him, just because he was different to them. Then I got so angry. I literally saw red, mum. My new friend was getting beaten on and I just flipped. I hope I broke his face with that punch."

"Oh, honey. Come on, shuffle over a bit. Let me cuddle." She carefully helped me move across a little by holding my sore leg and pillow up. She realised the ice was almost too warm to be of use so she took it off to give me skin a breather. Then she popped up carefully onto the bed and leaned against the pillows and headboard beside me. We sat like that, hand in hand for a good half hour and it was nice.

No talking, no questions, no emotions getting out of hand. Just Mum spending time just being with me. I really missed this, oh so much. I was almost asleep with my head on her shoulder when Wallace arrived on the wafting of an aromatic wind. The smell caused my tummy to gurgle again.

"Better feed the stomach beast before it eats us all alive." I reply with a yawn.

Sushi and a milk shake was on order, and it was yummy. By the time I was finished my meal, I was almost asleep on my food. Mum helped me lie down so I could sleep without getting a crick in my neck, and I let oblivion take me.