Chapter Sixty One - Fair Trade

fair trade
noun
1. trade between companies in developed countries and producers in developing countries in which fair prices are paid to the producers

My Monday began like all good school mornings did. Breakfast with the family, minus one green-tea-witch. The coffee was most excellent. My assistant took me to school while I briefly explained my vision for my 'Crystal Pear' sleepwear clothing line. She was a little bewildered with everything she had going on. It was her job to manage all of my projects and help me run my company, with Mr Anderson's help. I asked her for an appointment with a local advertising company, then spoke to her about where we were up to with the A&A App.

"Also, please make an appointment with Grant this afternoon to go over my business accounts with me. I've been spending a bit much lately and need to make sure we have the A&A app covered. I will meet with him at that coffee shop we went to last week, the one in the city centre."

"The Library Cafe, Yes Miss Lily." She made a verbal note on her phone then pulled into the driveway at school. Parking the car, I mentally went over everything in my mind that I wanted to chat to Patricia about this morning. I think that covered everything. Watching kids come and go, jocks throwing school bags around, prissy girls hitching skirt higher, touching up make up. It was a blur of teenaged hormones and immature humanity. And I had to do it all over again.

Some days, this whole rebirth thing was amazing, I got a do-over. I got to change all the crap that ruined my life the first time around, make better decisions, out-smart my enemies. But then days like today, where I feel like going to school again is a huge big fat waste of time and energy and I just want to say 'f%$k it, I'm outta here....' But I can't.

I did a lot of ditching classes the 'first time round' and know exactly where that lead me. My grades plummeted, I failed classes and had to re-do a lot of them. But the worst hit, was my reputation and my relationships. Graduating school in less than two months was the only thing I could do to make this go a lot faster and easier. I just have to keep everything in perspective.

"Two months. Sigh..." I turned to Patricia and gave her a lovely smile. "I can do this. Just keep me supplied with coffee and we'll get through this."

"Its not that bad, is it, Lily?" My assistant inquired.

"No, not like you're thinking. I've been here, done this remember? Adult in kid's body with five years of future memories." Patricia was the only one I could be honest about all of this rebirth thing, even if she doesn't really believe me. I have told her it felt like I had a dream of a future life, casing the whole thing in a reasonable explanation that she could understand, sort of.

I'll still talk to her like it is all real. Because to me it is. I wave my comments away.

"I'd rather be designing prints for my silky fabrics and did I mention that I want to open a traditional Asian teahouse? I think after the clothing line, I'll work on our very own cafe with office space above. So, add that to your list." I wave at her phone she was taking notes on earlier. "I want an empty lot for a newly designed teahouse. I also want to travel to Guatemala and Costa Rica for Fairtrade cocoa and coffee beans. I think Sri Lanka and India have Fairtrade herbal and fragrance teas as well. Dried fruits and flowers, herbs... These we can source from local organic farms and orchards."

I look back at the tall glass school building in front of us and sigh again.

"I have to through this though. Or my mother and step-father wont let me go to university so soon."

"Have a great day, Miss. I'll be here when you need a pick up."

"Thanks Patricia." I collected my bag, made sure I had my wallet and phone in it, then got out with my crutches and hobbled into school.

"Morning, Lily." It was some of the students in my art history class. I waved at them and kept hobbling. Then I felt someone come up behind me and I slowed down, careful to keep my balance. I didn't feel anything malicious from the people behind me, but waited all the same. Then Carlie and Teresa stepped either side of me.

"Hey Lily, how was your weekend?" Carlie asked.

"I hear your computer got stolen last week. Did it turn up?" Teresa asked before I'd answered Carlie.

"I heard it was returned and your step sister did it." Carlie replied.

"No, I heard it was a maid in the Overmeyer Estate. The police were involved." Teresa corrected her.

"I heard she was grounded for a month and screamed the house down."

"She was nearly banned by her daddy from attending his business function at the end of the week." Oh, that banquet is coming up this week. I've been waiting for that.

"Did you see what Marcia is wearing to school today? Oh my gawd!" Carlie started talking about school girls and their terrible fashion senses.

"Hey Lily, we're going dress shopping tomorrow after school. Come with us." I didn't get to answer Teresa before Carlie butted in again.

"Oh, let's go to the little designer boutique on River road."

"Felicity's aunty isn't giving out discounts there any more. We have to go to the mall instead."

"Oh, that's OK."

And it kept going, like some macabre ping-pong match.

"You going to the office, Lily? We'll take you there. The lift that end of the building is nicer to use." They didn't stop their one sided conversation until we made it to the area just outside the office reception.

"Have a great day, Lily. See you in Art." Teresa waved good bye. Carlie gave me an air kiss and waved good bye, joining her sister on the opening lift.