Chapter Nine - Advantageous

advantageous
adjective
1. involving or creating favourable circumstances that increase the chances of success or effectiveness; beneficial.

I've been filling up my social media account with various new images of the highlights of my last week, some sappy poetry about death and moving on, beautiful images of lily forests and moon rises. Then I've slowly shown a story of change and highlighting my various shopping trips, some of the gifts I bought, and the pieces of the outfit I will be wearing for the wedding. I also took down from my various webpages all the horrible immature things I'd written and posted over the years. It took me a while, but my social media is now more appropriate for the social circle I'll be entering into next. I don't forget to add my usual early morning running shots with the sunrise over misty views and my shoes in the shot. I need to keep it looking natural still and not fully pose centric.

All in all, I think the whole social media thing tells a lovely story and shows people what I want them to see with all of these new changes. There is a nice balance of up beat, pretty but also normal everyday life and growing changes that I reveal to the world, but I can also be proud of. It all shows a picture of a content girl that I never was in my previous timeline and one I always wished I was.

Back 'before', I used social media to fight against the injustices stacked against me, but really I came across as a lonely miserable, whining immature girl. I've learned nobody wants to read about that kinda shit online. What they want to read about is a cause to follow, a lifestyle to admire or a family life to envy. And that's what I'm planning of showing this time around, bit by bit.

The final changes I want to add to my social media is a photo of me in my new outfit for my mum's wedding. I think it will add to the story of the changes happening in my life right now.

That's why I'm standing in my bathroom, having taken a million hours to do my hair and natural looking makeup for today's big celebration.

My golden brown curly hair up-do is in a low chignon with wispy tendrils around my face. I tucked a small twig of white rose into back for something pretty. My makeup is fresh and light, with a golden shimmer on my pink lips to match the white and gold theme I have going on. I did, however, splash out on a really expensive set of false lashes. Can't go wrong with a little extra lash.

But, hot damn! I look freakin' fantastic. And I can't believe the change. I'd never dressed up like this 'before' and never knew I could look so comfortable looking so beautiful. I mean, I look frackin amazing. OK. Time to get going.

"Mum, how's it going in there?" I collect my purse and stuff everything I need into it and grab a sports hoodie for later when it gets cooler.

Knocking on my mum's door I walk in asking again if I can help.

"Mum?" I look through the house, everywhere for her and find her in the kitchen slow dancing with her soon-to-be husband, Wallace, to music only they can hear. Its not the first time I've seen this, but I have to remind myself that in this timeline it is.

I let slip a small giggle and turn around to head towards the front door.

"Morning Wallace. You look lovely Mum. I'll be in the car,' I say and close the door behind me.

I take a quick selfy in front of Wallace's silver Jaguar XE. Its his new car this year, and I believe Jac-jac was influencial in choosing the car because it had a pretty cat on the hood. I giggle when I remember learning about that the first timeline.

Shoes, dress with clutch, nails – all the pics are taking with Wallace's car in the background. Most of the images are shit as I can't take selfies to save myself, but there a few that I upload to my social media accounts straight away. When Wallace and mum finally come out of the house, I've been waiting by the car for over ten minutes.

"Sorry to keep you waiting, Lily. Shall we go now?" Wallace leads Mum to the front of the car and opens it for her, murmuring about how lovely she looks today. He opens my door and closes it for me after I get in.

"Mum, this car is freakin amazing. I love it!" I giggle for kicks.

"You look lovely, honey."

"Thanks mum, so do you." And she does. Remember when I said my mum looks ten years younger than she is, well today she looks a few years just out of college, almost. She's gone with a lovely pale gold midi dress with lace overlay, smokey eyes and an elegant up-do for her hair, and she's wearing the necklace I gave her last night with little diamond drop earrings.

"You're wearing the necklace I gave you."

"Yes, its lovely, thank you." She reaches for it around her neck.

"You know, I bought it for you because it has six diamond stars to match the six people in your family, even if one of them is no longer here with us,' I say this just as Wallace is getting into the drivers seat of his car.

"Oh, Lily..." Everyone pauses at that.

"I'm sorry... sorry. I didn't... I didn't mean..." I pause a moment to gather my thoughts. "I don't want you to forget him but I didn't want to you get hung up on his passing either. I just wanted you to live happy again, mum." I look down at the clutch bag in my lap, believing everything I've said is true, even if it is a little staged. I sniff a little and whisper in the silent car.

"I don't want you to forget but I want you to live happy now, Mum." Her hand reaches between the front seats to clasp mine and I look up in surprise at the happy, watery smile on her face and realise she's not angry with me, but grateful instead.

"Thank you, Lily. That's the nicest thing you've ever said to me. I love you, Baby." She has to stop talking over the crying to trying hard to stop.

"Mum, your makeup!" I quickly open the clutch and pull out a small packet of tissue and pass them over. "Here, please stop crying, you'll ruin your pretty face."

We both giggle and I notice Wallace is smiling at our antic.

"Thank you Wallace, for loving my mother and caring for her so much. Thank you for being so patient with us both as we went through out family sorrows. I know you've been waiting for Mum for a long time now, and I hope the wait has all paid off." I smile at him as he nods.

"Yes, I've love your mum for a long time. Thank you Lily for giving her - us your blessing."

"You're welcome, but I have just one question."

They both look at me curious.

"Where is my honey little cherub angel? What have you done with my little cherub angle? I want my little angel..." I wail at the top of my lungs, pretending to cry my heart out at the loss of my favourite new little brother.

Everyone laughs as Wallace starts the car and we head on over to the local wedding registry office where the ceremony will take place.