Chapter Twenty Seven - Arbitration

arbitration
noun
1. the use of an arbitrator to settle a dispute

Wallace crossed his arms and rubbed his chin. At this stage both Grant and Nurse Betty had left the room for our private little chat. Jack was sitting on the hospital bed beside me, drinking his juice, as happy as Larry.

"You are much more mature than your age suggests." It was a statement of his observations and I forget that he's a multi-billion dollar CEO with relationships and contacts with half the freakin world. He knows how to read people very well.

"I have trouble with figuring out how to deal with you. On one hand you request we treat you like an adult with loan contacts and business plans. On the other hand, its like you're a kid manipulating everyone around to get what you want. Its confusing and hard to deal with, do you understand where I'm coming from, Lily?"

"Yes, Sir." I nod my head, taking this conversation seriously. He holds up his hand when I want to speak further.

"Let me finish. Now, those boys, all four who were the perpetrators and Liam, who has become somewhat their unofficial arbitrator; I have spoken to their parents and explained what we expect from them. Firstly, the police will not be involved, we all agreed to this. Secondly, the boys who were physical have lost their places for this school term on their various sports teams, but it isn't permanent." He held up his hand again when I went to argue. So not fair. I lost my knee and they get a frackin slap on the wrist? That's not fair.

"Let me finish." He pauses as I nod, but I let him know I'm not happy.

"The lead guy, Aaron Chalmers, who pushed you over the railing, he has lost his spot in his sports team this whole year. He will undertaking anger management classes and is expected to give you - and Grant – a formal apology. I have asked his father to pay for your hospital expenses and post-op care and physio." He pulled a check for $500,000 out of his wallet and placed it on the table before me. "I know, and they know, it isn't enough to cover the greater loss of your sporting career. And I'm sorry about that. Aaron will be paying his father off to cover this pay-out." He pauses a moment to let me think about this.

And I do think about. It is the best possible outcome for this whole fiasco. I never intended to go professional with any of my sports, they have covered my hospital fees and then some, enough to start another business venture on top of the one I have already begun.

"I think... I think that this is the best outcome for everyone. Mum explained yesterday about how many families in this city would be affected if you had a major fall out with those guys, their families and their respective businesses. I get that, and I would hate to be the cause of something so horrible. So I get it." I nod and give him a sad smile, then my face firms up and I lean towards Wallace who is sitting beside my bed.

"What I don't get is the way they think they can come into my hospital room while I'm sitting in my under ware and demand that my nurse and my friend leave – basically my only support and comfort – then get physical again, right next to me. I was scared, terrified they'd hurt my knee with their careless actions, and worried my friends would get hurt. They had no right, and no authority to do that. It was awful, Wallace. Is that something you'd do to a teenage girl who was already lying in a hospital bed?" I am really angry and trying hard not to cry now. I don't want Wallace to think I'm trying to manipulate him again.

"Yes, I can understand how that would come across, and how scary that would be for you, Lily. It wont happen again. I've set up a security team so you will always have someone on the door at all times while you're here. My head of security at the mansion will arrive shortly to take the first shift. His name is Mr Denalt and I'll introduce you to him when he arrives."

I nod my thanks. Then I fuss over Jac-jac a moment to give myself time to process everything. Its a lot to take in, the care that Wallace is showing me, the result of his investigations and how me managed to get everything sorted on my behalf.

"The boys are outside and have asked to be allowed to come in and apologise to you. Are you OK, for this to happen now? I can ask them to come back later if you need them to."

"No, I'm OK. With you here, they wouldn't pull their stupid shit so I think now is good."

"Language, young lady." He nods towards Jack at my side, shaking his head at me.

"Oh, yes, sorry." I ruffle Jack's hair.

"I'll go bring them in now." He leaves the room then invites the two teen boys into the room. They both look chastised, humble before the great and powerful Mr Overmeyer.

"Hey Lily." Liam smiles, like before never happened.

"Hi." Aaron looks around the room, not actually at me.

"We'd like to apologise for what happened before. Mr Overmeyer explained everything to us and how it would have looked from your perspective. I apologise for how threatening we came across. We meant no harm, but wanted an opportunity to make things right for what took place in the mall. Your knee..." He looked at the bandages and frowned. I could see he was upset that it happened, upset that I'd been hurt and damaged and needed surgery. His pause made way for Aaron to speak up.

"Yeah, sorry about the accident in the mall. I'm glad you came out OK. Hope you heal real soon." It was a blasé thing to say. He still didn't look me in the eyes, but acted like it didn't even involve him. Wallace frowned, seeing the same disrespect I was seeing.

"You realise her knee was damaged to the point where she will not be able to play professionally ever again?" He asks in a stern voice. Aaron shrugs but Liam smacks him with a frown.

"Ah, you play?" Aaron looked at Liam then Mr Overmeyer, both wearing almost the exact expression of disapproval.

"You don't even know who she is, do you?" Liam asked and Aaron just shrugged again. Wallace got out his phone then moved to the entrance of the room, without leaving it, and started talking quietly but sternly.

"Ah, did I miss something?" Aaron rubbed the back of his neck.

"Just the fact that I had a very promising sports career that you ruined with your stupidity. Go on, down play how important it is for me and how you could care less."

"Lily, sorry about this. I thought his father had spoken to him about you."

"No, just handed out a cash cheque like it would make it all fuckin' better."

"Language!" Wallace called from the door. I huffed at him then turned away from Liam and Aaron, as much as my leg would allow me to.

"Hey my little Angel. Could I get another cuddle, please? Some bad men made me sad and I need your lovin'."

"Yup, yup. I can do that. But can I have some more juice too, pweeze?"

"What a touch bargain!" I pretend to think about it, then nod my head. "OK, but only a little bit more or your Daddy will get upset with Big Sis." I pass him the left overs of my juice bottle that only had a few mouthfuls and he climbed into my lap again.

"Don't be sad, Lily. I make it all better." Then he gives me a big sloppy kiss on my chin. I can't help giggling at his juice flavoured kisses. I'm not sure what had all three men in the room looking my way, Jack's cute antics or my laughter. Maybe both.

Aaron at a perturbed look on his face, like he'd just found a treasure that he didn't realise was there all along. A look of sudden interest appeared on his face, which just grossed me out. Liam had a small smile on his face, like he was enjoying himself watching something he liked.

Wallace's attention turned protective as soon as he saw both the boys reactions to me. The scowl turned dangerous and his dragon aura spread out again, causing both the boys and I to start to shrink in on ourselves. Interestingly, Jac-jac wasn't bothered by his father's mood swings at all. Very interesting.