Chapter Thirty Three - Schadenfreude

schadenfreude
noun

1. pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune

We were sent packing even before the security guard on duty had stepped forward. Just as we arrived at the lift, the elevator doors opened and Eyva walked out in her school clothes and school bag. As soon as she saw Grant and I, a sour look crossed her face. When Grant began to ask for a clarification of our identities, I grabbed his arm and shook my head, no.

"Oh hi Lily, Grant." She waltz on past, and when the receptionist asked her if she knew us, she denied it straight away.

"Nope, never seen them before in my life." Then she quickly slipped into her dad's office and closed the door on us all.

The poor blonde receptionist looked a little uncertain, as she clearly heard Eyva give us salutations by name.

Before we could clarify the situation, the security guard had us bundled into the lift before it closed.

"Frackin deadhead." I grumbled. Grant grunted.

I found a seat on the ground floor lobby waiting area and called Wallace on my phone.

"Hi Lily, how's your day going?"

"We came to visit and your 50th floor receptionist sent us back down the ground floor reception area to sign in as we'd not made an appointment."

"When was this?" He asked and I could hear him moving around his office and opening doors over the phone.

"Just now. Eyva arrived as we were being lead back to the lift by your bald security guard and the blonde bomb-shell refused to hear me out."

"Sigh... Alright. I'll have the blond.. I'll have Vila come down now and collect you. She will also ensure you have your own security pass for the whole building as well as clearance for approaching me on the 50th floor. See you soon." I could tell he was speaking to the blond Vila more than to me. I can only imagine her face.

Vila collected us, had me sign in on the ground floor reception area, fill in a few forms and take a picture for my security tag.

"Your tag should be ready for you by the time you finish with Mr Overmeyer today."

I could tell she was walking on egg shells, but it was her own bloody fault for being so stuck up and taking Eyva at her word.

"Thank you. Could you please lead us to Mr Overmeyer now?"

I kept things very professional and didn't add to anything I said. I was impatient to speak with my step dad and give him his gift.

If the blond Vila was a puppy dog, her tail and ears would both be handing very low, having been non-verbally chastised for her behaviour. And I don't think Mr Overmeyer had given her a real telling off yet. If she doesn't get sent back to HR for transfer, I'll eat my crutches.

"This way, please miss." She took us back up the elevators and into the 50th floor reception, past the bald security guard who was getting his ear chewed out by his boss and into the largest office I've ever seen.

Now, because this was the first time I've been in Wallace's office - ever, I did the typical thing of looking at everything, being suitably impressed.

We didn't get very far into the massive modern corner office before Mr Overmeyer spoke up. In once sentence he'd let Vila know exactly just much she'd fracked up.

"Thank you Vila for bringing my step daughter in." And that was the last time I ever saw the blond ever again. So bad, so sad, bye bye. She closed the office door on her way out. I dropped my purse on the side table near the door and a crutch as well. I only need one for balance as I moved further into the office.

"Eyva, do you have something to say to your step sister?" Oh, yeah. The White Witch was in here somewhere. I turned carefully around and found her sitting on the cream chesterfield corner lounge suite, arms across her chest.

"I'm so sorry, Lily and Grant for playing practical jokes that aren't funny." She really didn't mean it. The smile on her face 'looked' sincere, but the body language said she was only saying what she was told to say. I looked at Wallace and found him nodding in approval. But I'm certain he knows she's lying. He's the Dragon Emperor after all.

When I felt Grant move closer to me, I turned to find Eyva walking closer to us with a sad sorrowful look on her face. Oh, I know that look well. She is now planning another play, one that is supposed to make me look bad, and in that split second between heartbeats, I ask myself – Do I let her touch me then fake a fall down as if I've pushed her, or do I do the falling, even with the damaged and healing knee... Oh this is a tough one...

And sure enough, the tear filled eyes approached in line with me, so Wallace couldn't see what happens with either of our hands.

"Are you OK, Lily? I didn't mean for you to get sent away like. I'm sure you must be really aching and tired now." Annnnd there goes the hand. I internally sigh, jolt a little then fall away to the left side away from my sore knee.

"Ah! Owww." I actually did jolt my knee as I fell and I hide my face in my hands as I try to breathe through the pain.

"Eyva! Why did you do that?"

"I didn't, I didn't. She fell herself! She's faking it." Eyva screamed.

"Shut up. Just stop it." He moves closer to me and gently picks me up. "Please Grant, help me get a drink for her and her pain medication." He places me on the same couch that Eyva got up from before.

"Are you alright, Lily?" The concern in his voice almost make me start crying all over again, so apologetic and... full. That's the only way I can describe it. Like he genuinely cares for me and all of a sudden I'm crying so hard, sobbing for all that I had lost, all that I never had 'before'. Why didn't he see me like this back then, why didn't he care for me like this? Why didn't he ever take my side of any of the arguments that Eyva started with me back then? Why?

"Oh, Lily..." He's a father. He's seen this before, many times. A broken child in need of a hug. So he did. He hugged me and held me tight, kneeling on the floor beside the couch. And after a while I realised what I was doing and I felt so awkward.

"I'm sorry, sir." I said in a small voice. He ignored my awkward and gave me the glass of water that Grant fetched.