Chapter 119 - Stuporous

stuporous
adjective
1. stunned or confused and slow to react (as from blows or drunkenness or exhaustion)

Murrieta Murr, my Tea House manager met us at the door to my new cafe. Grant ran up to meet us just as we were welcomed in.

"Sorry, I'm not late, am I?" He asked as he popped through the door after us.

"Hey, babes!" I called out and gave him a kiss on the cheek by way of greeting.

"Lills, did you get the biz management notes from class today?" He asked quietly.

"Yes, already emailed them to you. How was your appointment?" I asked. His mum had taken him and his father to a family counselling session to help them all work out his being gay and how it affected the family. I was a little worried it wouldn't go down so well with his dad, but apparently I might be wrong, judging by the happy expression on my friend's handsome face.

"It went about as well as you'd expect, but we're getting there." His smile turned a little sardonic and I could see a little bit of sadness peeking out between the clouds on his face.

"Need a beer?" I asked and pulled him over the group of guests who were being given a group tour of the new renovations by Ms Murrieta.

"This place was really popular as it was before, but I absolutely love what the new owner has done with it now." Liam and a pretty Asian girl were viewing the whole venue as Jackson in his ever present grumpy face was leaning on the serving bar with his arms crossed. When I watched him looking all closed off and moody, I wondered if I'd chosen the right male model for my show. Hmmm, maybe if I put him in the black silk robe, the one I'd dubbed 'Emperor in Moonlight'. Grant elbowed me in the ribs to get me focussing on the reason why I'd called them all over.

"Hi Liam and Jackson, and Jackson's girlfriend. Sorry, I didn't get your name?" I held out a hand to give them each a welcome shake.

"Hi Lily. Thanks for inviting us. This is Sunny Ishida, an expat, hailing from Japan. She's Jackson's girlfriend." Sunny waved a shy greeting with a small smile on her face. Standing between the brothers, she was shorter than them by far, almost shorter than I was. She had a petite face, lush lips and a beauty spot on her lower left chin. She had a beauty about her that would fit into any stereotype or subculture depending on her choice of fashion. I couldn't pick where to place her. I was like finding a favourite old novel that didn't fit into any mainstream genre but was one that you would read over and over again.

She had long, dark brown hair with young but expressive facial features. Her eyes were so deep that I felt like I could get sucked into them. When Liam snickered, she elbowed him in the ribs, really hard. It was enough to knock me out of that dazed-off feeling that I was under and I realised at that moment why she was with Jackson, the quiet mature brother, instead of the outgoing sports jock, Liam. I bet those two would just kill each other if they were locked up in a room alone together for any length of time. When she smacked him over the back of his head, it just confirmed my hypothesis.

"Hi Sunny, wow, you're gorgeous." I gushed then felt my face grow hot in embarrassment. I looked at Jackson as he smirked at me and I poked my tongue out at him.

"Um, this is Grant, everyone. Oh, did Freddie turn up?" I realised I'd forgotten one of my male invitees.

"Here!" a voice called out behind me. We all turned to find Dunstin Freddricks arriving through the door. "Sorry I'm late. I had an after school meeting."

"No worries. So, now that we're all here, would anyone like a beer?" I asked as I walked towards the kitchen side eating area where the staff members would normally take their meal breaks.