Chapter 111 - Engagement

engagement
noun
1. a formal agreement to get married.
2. an arrangement to do something or go somewhere at a fixed time.
3. the action of engaging or being engaged.
4. a fight or battle between armed forces.

Mum called, waking me up early the next morning. Just because. It was so lovely hearing her silky voice first thing in the morning, and of course her little cherub Jac-Jac, who was singing in the background. They were having a Sunday morning breakfast, so I got up, wrapped myself in a silk robe and went downstairs to help myself to breakfast as well. We all sat at our respective breakfast tables, each eating our own breakfast foods while Jac-Jac sung kindy nursery rhymes in the background. Best way to begin a day.

Saying goodbye to everyone once breakfast was over, I hung up smiling. I quickly washed the dishes, leaving them to drip dry on the dish rack, then I went back upstairs for a shower and change of clothes.

Today I left the apartment building wearing a waterfall coat made from camel wool, over top of Grant's crop top he gave me yesterday. I wore skinny jeans from a few years ago that now had holes in the knees. I still had to wear the brace still, so I stuck with black jeans to try and hide the contraption.

I didn't have anything on this morning. No appointments. No classes, no brunch dates, nothing. So why was I heading out the apartment door without anything scheduled? Sunday morning sports, of course. I may not be able to play anything at the moment, and certainly can't see myself hobbling up and down the field in my current condition. But that doesn't mean I can't watch those hot male bodz doing their thing.

OK, OK. So my star gazing isn't completely without purpose. There is another lost soul that I plan on recruiting for my baby business developments.

Patricia met me on the ground floor just as I stepped out of the lift. I pulled on a peachy pink beanie with kitty ears, and handed her a burnt orange beanie with baby fox ears.

"Wear this." I demanded as I left the building and stepped into the waiting company car. Patricia got into the driver's seat and handed me back the funny beanie but I held up a hand.

"Company outing required uniform for today only."

"Must wear?" She asked.

"Must wear," I replied. Actually I just wanted to have a little bit of fun and the mid-thirties still had a youthful vibe to her, even if she was a quite, stand-offish kind of lady. Her wearing a foxie beanie hat was really funny. As she drove, I took pics of her, then of us both together and sent them all to Grant.

We arrived at the city sports commons, field-side cafe that was really popular with families at this time of the week. You could sit, drink or have brunch while your loved ones played their seasonal sports.

Right now, we were in a prime position to see a local sports team playing touch rugby against another team from out of town. The local team was getting their arses kicked, from what I could tell, but since it wasn't a professional team with any sort of major sponsorship, it didn't really matter if they won or lost. The young adults were all university aged dropouts who only played sports so as not to be seen as complete couch potatoes by everyone else around them.

And couch potato Number One was a guy named Elijah Millers, AKA my new recruit. AkA the captain and manager of this peculiar losing team.

I sat down at an outdoor cafe table while Patricia ordered us both a morning coffee. I asked for an extra shot of hazelnut just for kicks. She came back and sat down beside me, both of us facing the closest field watching the sad game of touch rugby.

"They are really bad at this." Patricia commented in between drinks of her coffee.

"They really are." I replied with a smile, watching the guy I wanted to target for our new team membership.