Chapter Fifty - Blacklisted

blacklisted
verb
1. put on a blacklist

"About a year ago, Ms Patricia Palmer's previous business partner and her ex husband joined hands in taking over her previous business, while she was in hospital after a major accident that her husband probably caused. They lost their two year old son in that accident. Mr Channing used his power of attorney and signed her life insurance and business authority away.

"Once she was out and trying to fight back, Mr Channing set up a scenario where someone was killed in the hotel she worked in and she had to take the fall for it. There is evidence pointing to a patsy who was paid out by Mr Channing, but it is circumstantial at best. It was thrown out of court and even though Ms Palmers was acquitted of any wrong doing, she lost her job and was blacklisted by the company and others in cahoots with Channing Enterprises.

"Her husband went on to pay a journalist from out of town to write an expose on her professional life that outlined every rumour and falsehood ever conceived. Ms Palmer had the article retracted from print and online, but journalist left town. You will need to wade your way through about fifteen pages of slander and defamation to find anything about educational history, her internships at major hotels and catering companies, or any of her martial arts sporting achievements.

"Ms Palmer is a fighter who lost a huge fight that had everything stacked against her, and when asked if given one last open window if she'd take it – she did." I looked at Patricia and saw her fighting with her inner demons with her fingers clenched together. I haven't asked her about any of this and learned it all 'before' and I can see that it hurts to bring it all back up, especially since everything is still so fresh. I mean, the last six months while I've been reading manga comics while sitting beside my dad in the hospice, Patricia Palmers was fighting for her life, her career, her reputation, and the right to live free.

"He nearly enslaved her in every way possible, bar locking her up."

"He did lock me up. I escaped," said an emotionally filled voice.

"Holy crap." I whispered. "But I bet there's no evidence. He got away with everything, didn't he?" She looked up at me and nodded.

"But did you know, he launders money through three small business that his subordinates use on Fairview street, money changing hands 5am Monday and Friday? Those subordinates then sell drugs bought into the city by gangs at those same small businesses. Did you know he uses back street deals to buy stock undercutting his investors with all of his construction work? His accountant is currently stealing millions and gets caught and killed by Mr Channing in about four months. And he uses sock puppets in marketing and reviews. Bad, bad man. How the heck did you get married to a man like that?"

"He knocked me up then made demands for the sake of his unborn child. I had to agree to marriage or he'd take the kid. He took him anyway. I hate him."

"How do you know this, Lily." My step dad had been quietly listing on the side.

"Oh, woops. Um. I have no evidence for any of that, Wallace. Don't take my word for it." I shrug a shoulder then turn back to Patricia. "What I'm saying is that I know enough about all his shady dealings to give the right tip to the police at the right time. He's gotta go down before he starts locking more women and children up like he did you. Did he tell you he was going to sell you?" She nodded. "He gets in the lucrative business of human trafficking in about five years from now. That might be the best time to take him out, before he destroys too many more lives. You in?"

"I'm in. But I get to cut off his... Um... Cough!" She looks at Wallace and coughs.

"Alright, I've heard enough." Wallace leans back in his seat and puts his thinking seriously face on. You know the one, where he scrunches up his eyebrows and spaces out. Yes, Wallace Overmeyer spaces out. I look at Patricia again as she raises an eyebrow in silent question. I shake my head and point my chin at Wallace. She nods. We wait. After four or five minutes he turns Patricia and speaks again.

"You are her bodyguard and driver. Her office assistant, secretary and quasi financial officer, even though you are currently bankrupt and cannot legally hold that position."

"Oh, yes, the bankruptcy." He looks at me and holds up a hand. I zip my mouth shut and nod my head.

"I have seen your employment contract that Lily has sent through to me this afternoon. She was very diligent in getting almost everything needed in the contract, but there is no exit clause nor is there safeguards in place for her if you decide terminate your contract early. This I'd like to see amended, please."

"Yes, sir."

"I will have assistant email the new contract template for Lily to use and you will both sign this. Agreed? It will be exactly the same as if a performing artist or a long term contractor is signed up. The exit clauses are essential in safeguarding Lily's lively hood and her intellectual property. Is this clear to you both?"

"Yes, sir," we both reply.

"Now, next issue I have. Lily, why the hell do you think you have the need to employ a bodyguard in the first place?"

.... I really don't know have a truthful answer to that question, at least not one that will keep me out of trouble with his eldest daughter and not reveal everything I know about the next eight years due to my rebirth... Crap.