Chapter Ninety Two - Shenanigans

shenanigans
noun
1. secret or dishonest activity or manoeuvring

"Lily! Come into my office please!" Wallace came home, and he didn't sound too happy when he called for me. At least, that's what it sounded like to me. I frowned then remembered what Eyva said in her text after I sent her a smart-alec message. Hmmm, I think Wallace has the wrong idea?

Arriving in the down stairs office, Wallace is speaking quietly to mum, and Jac-Jac is playing on the settee by the window. He has trucks and cars crashing together. I was thankful to see he didn't seem to have any lasting affects from the accident last week.

"You called?" I asked, smiling broadly. Wallace saw I wasn't being serious, then he braced his elbows on the desk and steepled his fingers together under his chin. Mum was standing beside him, a neutral look on her face. Something was up. They were serious, too serious.

"It wasn't intended to harm her. I sent it as a joke. I didn't know how else to reach out to her so I decided to use humour to bridge the gap." I fidgeted with my phone, then decided just to show them what I'd sent, then Eyva's reply. Wallace took my phone and read the text messages and I could see him trying really hard not to smile as he finished the task. I took a peek at my mum as she too read over his shoulder. She covered her hand over her mouth.

"That's not why I brought you in here." He handed back the phone and I was really confused.

"Take a seat." He demanded. I complied. When the most powerful businessman in the city tells you to do something, you do it straight away.

"What I've called you in here today for, is to go over the final details of the sale of the Antique and Arts App. Take a look at this final copy of the sale and purchase agreement." He handed me the papers and I was able to relax. I wasn't in trouble.

The agreement outlined everything that my team and lawyer had sent him. Wallace had added a few minor details, word corrections, sales date changes. He set the date for today. The only major change that I could see was the inclusion of a property as part of the payment from his side.

"What's this?" I asked. He didn't even have to look at where I was pointing on the agreement to know what I was asking about.

"That is your new apartment." He replied. There has to be more to it than that. They are both being secretive, hiding something from me.

"Wallace and I agree that if you would like to move from the estate, then you will need a place to live. We'd like to give you this property as part of the settlement for the App he's purchased." Mum spoke casually, like it was no big deal. But the more she tried to act casual, the more suspicious I got.

"What kind of apartment? What kind of property. You're using two different words for something that is only identified as lot 144b on Salem Street. If I'm not mistaken, Salem street is almost directly down town. Is it not?" I asked Wallace.

"Yes it is." He said truthfully.

"The apartment has two bedrooms with ensuite bathrooms and walk-in wardrobes. The large living space is already fully furnished, full kitchen, separate bathroom with laundry facilities. The building it is situated in is an apartment high-rise with gymnasium and swimming pool in the basement. Security is top of the line, with a doorman who was trained by Mr Denault himself. I feel happy you staying here, if this is what you would like, Lily. You would be comfortable and I know you would be safe. After the kidnapping..." She didn't say anything else and covered her mouth, but it was like she brought that incident up purposefully, but I'm not sure why.

The thing is, the apartment she described sounds perfect for me. The second bedroom could double as an office and art room. I'd keep a small bed in there for guests. I can cook for myself and have been doing my own laundry since I hit puberty. I couldn't see anything dodgy about the apartment becoming part of the sales payment.

"All right. I'm OK with this. But if you take the value of the property out of the ten million, then I think its only fair." Mum shot a quick look to Wallace. He shook his head.

"I don't want to do that. I want you to take this property as part of our responsibility to you as our daughter, Lily. I would be giving much the same to Eyva when she leaves home, and again to Jac-Jac when he's grown up."

"Yews pweese!" Little Jac-Jac called out from the settee he was sitting on, making me smile. What Wallace and my mum have said seems fair. Especially if they will do the same for their other children. I mean, I've just started at university. Many people leave home for this season of their life. Parent's buy cars and flats, small units nearby where they are studying. It only stands to reason that my parents would buy me a whole apartment.

"OK, I'll sign this. But if I think you have swindled me in some way, or tricked me into something, then..."

"It can not be returned to me, Lily. You either sign the agreement as is, or we go back to the drawing board. Take it or leave it." Wallace became stern in his business dealings with me all of a sudden, and I realised he was getting upset that I'd thought there was some underhanded dealing going on towards me and my business. He didn't like what I was non-verbally insinuating. Woops. My bad.

"Sorry, Sir. I'll sign it. I don't mean to be ungrateful, nor disrespectful. You've done so much for me and my mum already." I quickly take up the gold plated Montblanc pen he owns and signed my name where it was needed on the sales and purchase agreement, then initial every page in the stack.

Done. Now I just had to figure out where exactly the apartment was.

"OK, I'm off. Have fun with your new place, Lily. Let me know if there is anything you need and I'll get Mrs H to stock up before you move in." I watched as she and Jac-Jac left the room, but the sinister smile on the little boy's face gave me goose bumps. He knew something that I didn't know and his giggle was joined by mum's out in the hallway a moment later. I think I've been set up. For what, I'm not sure.

"Hey wait a minute, you sound like I'm moving out tonight?" I turned back Wallace who ignored me and fiddled on his computer. Then my phone dinged and I found myself the brand new owner of ten million dollars. Just like that. And apparently a new apartment. Down town somewhere.

"What's going on, Wallace?" I demanded when I saw his wide Cheshire cat-like smile. It gave me goose bumps.