Chapter 131 - Premiere

premiere
noun
1. the first performance of a musical or theatrical work or the first showing of a film.

I watched the upper crust of Mt Summer City all smoozhing and snoozing their fellow rich contemporaries. Seriously, the wealth congregated at this show venue could finance a small island nation for ten years, at least. They looked happy though, drinking, chatting, laughing. The music played from hidden speakers, lights kept the place low key, intimate but lively, and the atmosphere was invigorating.

The catering and waiting staff were amazing in their black uniforms with red ties. They carried trays of expensive wine and champaign, hors'd'oeuvres and nibbles. Like a well oiled machine. I checked the time, walked over to my mum, squeezed her hand to let her know I was off, then slipped around the lake towards the backstage arena.

Just before I arrived, I found a leecher hitting in my step sister, Eyva. It wasn't a pretty sight. He was dressed to the nines, smoking a cigarette and smelling of cheap wine, not the kind we'd been serving at the party. And I knew him. Rake Channing, my ex-boyfriend, like the 'ex' as in killed me, ex-boyfriend. Soon to be kicked out, never-boyfriend.

A tremor shook my soul, trying to loosen repressed memories and locked away emotions. I shoved it all away again, locking it behind the need to get this show over and done with. He's just another man, just another filthy tool used to keep me under control and on the run. He no longer matters. 

I tapped the walkie-talkie in my dress pocket that I'd been given for the event, not believing that I'd ever need to use it tonight, and sent a code grey to the security team. Grey stood for trouble but not danger. I stepped up to Eyva and pulled her away from the guy who had his cigarette hand running all over her back dropping cinders on the thousands of dollars dress. Then two big burly security guys moved quickly from the venue entrance nearby and took one look at the situation and broke into a run.

"Hey, what's the deal, babe. We're just having a little bit of fun, aren't we Miss Eyva?" He looked me up and down, winking at my sister who was trembling beside me but hiding her fear well. She sneered at the guy.

"We broke up, if I remember correctly," she was obviously pretending to know who this guy was. "I'm sure I wouldn't have gone out with a creep like you anyway. So get lost!" Eyva's voice was harsh as she flicked her hair over her shoulder and turned away from him, while still standing beside me.

"Please leave, you aren't welcome here." I firmly requested as I stood in front of Eyva to guard against him. Not that I'd know what to do with him. I haven't played any sports in months and my martial arts skills were really rusty.

The leering smile on the guy's face fell as he lurched to grab a hold of my sister from behind me and I threw my hands up to ward him away. It wasn't needed though.

"You bit..." He didn't get to finish his insults as the first security guard to reach us took a hold of his reaching hands and twisted them behind his back, forcing him onto the ground.

"Are you all right, Miss Twice, Ms Overmeyer?" I nodded as Eyva ignored the guard. That was her gig, still a snob, but at least she's a pretty snob now.

"Get this guy out of here and ban him from the premises and any future Overmeyer activity from here on out."

"You can't do that! I'm Rake Channing. I'll have my brother..." His voice trailed off as he was dragged away.

"You didn't need to go all commando on his arse. I was handling it fine." Eyva ignored my hand and brushed past me towards the back stage. I caught up to her as quickly as I could on heals.