Chapter Ninety Eight - Impromptu

impromptu
adjective · adverb
1. done without being planned or rehearsed
noun
1. a short piece of instrumental music, especially a solo, that is reminiscent of an improvisation

I made a list of everything I thought I would need for this new place. A new computer and stationery, equipment for the office. Bathroom toiletries and a few more towels would be good. The kitchen was fully stocked, but I wanted my favourite coffee and I found a few fruit teas that I wanted to buy as well.

I asked about the laundry powder used and other cleaning products in the apartment, then asked Patricia to replace them all.

"I'd like to use only eco-friendly products, please. Safe the environment and save the earth and all that. Better on my skin too." She agreed to find me a range of cleaning products that I could use in the apartment.

"How about your bedroom? Is there anything you need in there from the estate? I can call mum and have her pack it all up for you and send it over." Grant got out his phone to give his mum a call.

"Hang on, I've said to my family that I'm moving in on the weekend. I think I need to stick with that plan. Eyva seemed really upset when I told them I was moving out, and I don't think Jac-Jac understands what 'moving out' actually means. I need to speak with him and help him understand."

"Yeah, sure. That makes sense." Grant puts his phone away.

"Patricia, you said that there is space for accommodation on the floor below this one?" I wondered if she was planning on moving in.

"Yes, and I've already moved in. Wallace set me up three weeks ago and I've been living here comfortably ever since."

"Did mum sell the old house?" I asked

"It is on the market." She replied.

"That's great. I bet you've really enjoyed the new view." I smile.

"Yes." Straight face. No fun at all.

"What about you, Grant?"

"What about me? I'm still living at home with my parents. My dad didn't kick my arse too badly when he found out I was gay, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't disown me if I left home before he was ready for it. I have to ease my parents into these things, you know?"

I couldn't help laugh with him over that.

We spent a few more minutes talking over business matters and the new Crystal Pear clothing line. The clothing manufacturing plant in Nepal was lined up to use Fair trade produced silk fabrics sourced in Cambodia. The order had been secured and purchased last night and the first run was about to be shipped to the Fair trade contract manufacturing in Nepal. All approved by the international Fair Trade association. I already had them make and send me sample of each of the designs in each of my fabric prints. These are what I used as gifts for each member of my family. A few samples came back needing corrections, but that because of my faulty design more than anything.

We called it a day and went back to the Overmeyer estate. I decided that apart from a few favourite pieces of clothing, I was going to leave my bedroom here as it is. The next couple of days were going to be filled with endless shopping, I think.

I arrived home to a gaggle of Eyva's groupies causing trouble in the entertainment room and pool side. They were dressed in uniforms from the private school they all attended with Eyva and, seeing the time, I guessed they had arrived straight from school after classes ended for the day.

I dropped my things in my room and went back down stairs again, wondering if Eyva was doing OK. I found her sitting on a lounger outside under the shade beside the pool, looking very closed up and almost non-responsive. A bunch of brats were yelling and screaming around her and I could tell she was in pain. Her head ached by the looks of it. I hobbled to the kitchen where I caught some guys pouring liquor drinks for themselves.

"Hey, put that away. I'm sending photos of your under aged drinking to Principal Shanto if you don't get out of here right now!"

"What the hell!" The drinks were abandoned and I poured the remainder drinks down the drain as soon as they all left the room.

"Mrs H!?" I called out loud. She arrived with a load of groceries, and once she saw the mess, she nearly dropped the bags in fright.

"What's happened?" She asked. Grant followed her in with another load.

"Get security out to the poolside now. Eyva is overwhelmed and without her leadership, everyone is making a mess. Get the music shut down, and lock the front door to anyone else entering the premises. Mrs H, can you arrange for your husband to take some of the more rowdier of the students home, please?" I moved to the first aid kit in the butlers pantry and collect the pain medication that I know are safe for Eyva to use. Bottle of water tucked into my back pocket and I'm good to go.