Chapter Thirty Nine - Industrious

industrious
adjective
1. diligent and hard-working

Grant didn't say yes straight away. Which I actually applauded him for. He needed to go home and talk to his parents about it all, and what it would mean for living and working part time at the estate. He would be bonded to my company for five years after he graduates or he will be paying all the uni fees back in full. He understood all of this but still wanted to check with his parent's first.

Patricia Palmer signed on the spot. She handed me her contract and her bank account number for her salary and I told her I'd scan and send her the copy by email once I got home. Then I handed her a key to my mum's old place. We'd just moved out and it was fully furnished and in need of cleaning until it sold. She didn't accept it at first, but I reminder that I promised her a place to stay, at least until she was back on her feet. She reluctantly accepted this.

On my way home in the car, I emailed Patricia asking her to set up a post office box near the estate, to buy me a cheap tidy SUV vehicle, up to the price of twenty grand, then I asked her, once she settled into her new home, to come by my place in the morning for us to go car shopping.

"If you need anything else, just let me know. You have my cell number. Even if its for a glass of wine, as long as you don't tell the parental units, I don't mind sharing a couple with you. Enjoy the new place."

Then I paid two months advance into her account from my new business account and called it a day.

Mum was home when I got there. It being Saturday, it wasn't really expected but a nice surprise. Jac-Jac was driving her nuts, demanding she watch cartoons with him.

"Come on, my little Angel. Come and give me some kisses!" He ran all the way to the door with his arms in the air. Just before he launched himself at me, Grant caught him in time.

"She's on crutches, remember?"

"Oh, sorw knee still?" He patted Grant's shoulders and asked him sweetly, "Watch cartoons wiff me pweese?"

"Sure, sport. Let's go." I thanked Grant for sparing me a small child induced accident and for distracting Jack while I spoke with my mum.

"Hey mum, do you have time to chat?" Mum was reading notes at the coffee table in the main lounge room.

"Oh hi, Lily. You've been busy. Would you like to talk about?"

"Yes, but please can we go out and get some sunshine? I've been cooped up for weeks now." We went outside to the new pagoda and sat while a maid served up tea and petite fours.

Mum picked up a little mini red velvet cake dipped in white icing with tiny little iced roses on the top. She studied it for a moment, thinking about another time.

"You know, when I was younger I wanted to become a pastry chef. I loved baking and decorating and icing everything. Too bad I was so bad at it." She chuckled to herself. I smiled and asked her a few questions about which were her favourite recipes to bake and we chatted like that for a while.

After tea, she asked me what I wanted to talk about.

"You know, I've decided to set up a company that specialises in entrepreneur businesses for fast turn around. I have quite a few ideas and am really excited about it." She nodded.

"Yes, I heard. I think that Wallace is really pleased with your ideas and enjoyed talking with you about things. Will you finish school before you start anything?" I shook my head, no.

"I've already started. My company Pyrus Projects has been fully registered as a limited liability company as of yesterday. Because I am under age I can not be the sole company director so I met with the lawyers today. Mr Anderson has signed on as my power of attorney for the express purpose of being my co-company director. Everything else is set up.

"Wow, that is fast. Are you sure about this? You still haven't finished school."

"Yes, I am. Remember I told you two nights ago that I want to finish school and apply for university here in Mt Sommers City." She nods at this.

"I've had a long thought about this and believe this is what I need to do. I can finish school now, if I want to, but I think I'll stay until the end of the term. I need your help, though."

I pull out my university application forms and hand them over to her to read.

"I can pay the tuition fees each year by myself, but because I am under age, I need your signature for the application."

"I can do this. But are you sure about starting so soon, and in the middle of the year? Didn't you say you were going to do a double degree?"

"Yes, in business and arts. I want to eventually set up my own art exhibition hall, a professionally built one that caters to high end clientele and that new building isn't going to be cheap. The building and lighting, air-conditioning and curation expenses are going to cost millions to start with. So it is a long term goal, something I'd like to work towards. In the mean time, I will build businesses, on sell them, rinse and repeat."

"Wow, you really have thought about it all. It sounds wonderful, Lily." She paused a moment, reading my application form, then signed it for me.

"Yay, thank you mum. This means a lot to me. I'd jump up and hug you right now, but you know, stuffed up knee here." She comes over and hugs me and gives my cheek a kiss.

"Why do I feel like you're all growing up too fast?"

"Soooo, how about I scan and email this in the uni registration office and we find some of Wallace's brandy and celebrate?" I waggle my eyebrows exaggeratedly, making her laugh, while she shook her head no.

"So, when are you starting at your school?" She asks as she follows me into the mansion.

"I have stitches to remove, a physio therapist to meet, a swim instructor to organise, a car to pick up, an employee to settle, a programmer to secure, and Grant. I am trying to convince him to join me at uni doing management and finances. He'd be so good at it."

"Grant? Really?"

"Yes, but he needs to talk with his parent's first."

"Good lad, that one."

"Yes. Yes he is." I smiled.