Chapter Fifteen - Bludge

bludge
verb
1. shirk responsibility and live off the efforts of others.
2. seek to obtain (something) at the expense or through the generosity of others.

"How does it work, honey?" My mum is smiling, but I don't think she really gets the value of the programme I'm hoping to develop. Where as Wallace's face had turned all series like he is seriously interested in the project.

"The national art museum has a database of all our famous nation art, the local and national art galleries all carry images of the stock that have passed through their hands. Same with the mainline antique dealers. Then there are a number of large auction houses here and abroad all carry a list of artists and what their paintings and sculptures sold for through each of their houses." I shrug a shoulder and smile.

"All the information is already there at each of the different service providers, I just need to collate it, give it a search engine, a user interface and make the whole app look professional and pretty. I think it will be a great hit." I know it will be. Reason it hasn't been done before now? It will put a few antique and art dealers out of business until they all decide to pitch in together and buy it off me for a pretty penny. Nothing short of ten million and I'll do well.

"Have you the finances to build this app? Do you have the technical support?" Wallace has his hands clasped together under his chin looking at me, taking my project very serious.

"Yes, I do. Its all in the planning stage and I've only just put together the business plan for the whole project, but I've yet to contract the programmer, server space, advertising and marketing. The biggest problem I have at this point is the authorisation to use all of the databases that aren't in public domain or for public use. I think that will take some time, but until I have that, I can't really get this thing off the ground. Everything else is easy."

"I can get that for you through my own business contacts if you like. Set you up with our marketing team, advertising..." I interrupt him, holding up my hand.

"Wallace, thank you for your offer, but this is something that I need to do for myself. I appreciate your kindness, but I don't want my first business venture to be backed by anyone, I don't want people to think I'm bludging off you and your generosity. I can do this, prove myself and build my own credential before I come to you for future projects. Please. Treat me as if I'm another company, looking to build ourselves up before coming to bid for projects with you in the future." He smiles and nods in agreement.

"My father set up his real estate business and ran it for years at grass roots level before he built it into Gemini Reality as it stands today. It is his legacy, but I don't think it is something that I can take over and run. No offence Mum, but you are doing such an amazing job as Gemini's CEO, but housing and construction... It just isn't where I want to spend the rest of my life. I think you need to build it up and then merge it with Wallace's company when Jac-jac is of age to take things over." Mum's eyes are as wide as saucers. I don't think she expected me to turn down my father's life long work and hand it over to someone else.

"Jack is my brother, whom I love to pieces. I think it would be best suited for him to take things over, if that's what he wants to do when he's grown up. I've always been into sports and arts, Mum. I probably would have gone into getting an arts degree if I knew there was any worth while work out there."

"So your art dealing app. Is this where you want to go, what you want to do with your life?" She asks tentatively. I have to giggle at that.

"No mum. If anything I'm building a business for the express purpose of selling it. I don't plan on keeping it to run it myself, but I'll build it with the purpose of bumping it off for millions." I give a cheeky smile.

"Would you let Wallace look over your business plan before you start anything, honey?" Mum's worry is evident.

"Ahh..." I look at Wallace, wondering if he even has the time to look into it.

"Yes, I can do that. No problem." He's nodding.

"Oh, OK. Thank you, I really appreciate it."

"No worries." Wallace tidies up our plates, stacking them for his waiting staff to clear the table. It is very considerate of him, considering he doesn't need to anything like that. I can tell he really cares for his staffing team in the mansion.

"I still have a few loose ends to tie up and a bit of grammar and spelling to check, but I think I can have it to you tomorrow morning. Does this sound OK?"

"Before school starts? I thought you had to go shopping." I nod afirmative.

"Yes, but like I said, its almost complete already. Thank you, Wallace."

"Shall we, Jac-jac?" Mum and Wallace clean the little tyke up and leave the spacious sun room. His little sad face looking back at me as he holds each of his parent's hands.

"Lily come wiff us?"

"She will be back later today." Mum replies.

"How about cartoons in the entertainment room after lunch?"I call out to him.

"Why not now?" He asks.

"Can't my Angel. Busy adulting. Get used to it Kiddo." It was a phrase my dad used to tell me all the time. I smile as I realised it just popped out. Mum shares the same small sad smile.

"Cartoon later then. OK!" he cries out and follows his parents from the breakfast room.

"Oh, mum, I almost forgot. Can I please borrow your car?" I call out before they leave the space.

"I can have a driver take you where you need to go." Wallace's replies for my mum.

"Ahhh.... That's just weird." I call back. Be pops his head back through the door with a grin on his face.

"Get used to it kiddo!" His grin is soo freakin cheeky I want to throw something at him. But the warm feeling spreading through my chest makes me realise that I have never felt like this with him the first timeline. All I can do is laugh heartily.