Chapter Ninety Five - Redefine

redefine
verb
1. define again or differently

Eyva's new haircut changed her whole look. Her previous hairstyle and wardrobe was of a prim and proper estate lady who suited pearls and tea parties, fashion shopping and leading committees in fund raising for the poor. Her new look was much more modern, fresh and just that little bit edgier. The style of the cut was a concave bob, short above her shirt collar at the back and longer, down to her under her chin at the front on the right side with a wispy layered look. The left side of her head was shaved, almost down to the scalp. A bandage was replaced to cover the stitches she had on that side of her head.

Damien Hicks gave her a new hair cut that was beautiful and tidy. He ended up dying it platinum blond as well. It really suited her face shape, her brows and her vibrant blue eyes. Gone was the celebrity débutante. Eyva 2.0 had arrived.

After a shower, Eyva met me at the door to my room and walked with me down to dinner. She had also showered and styled her hair as Mr Hicks had shown her how to. She kept feeling the shortness of the cut as we walked, and I could tell she wasn't used to the style yet. But she seemed happy with it. Really happy.

"This was a great idea, Lily. Thank you." She almost bounced on the spot just before we stepped into the dinning room where the rest of the family was waiting for us.

"You're welcome, Eyva 2.0. I'm really glad you like it." She snorted as I smiled at her.

"You've got to stop calling me that before Wallace hears you." She started calling him Wallace as well after she noticed that I didn't call him dad. I think she felt strange calling him father since she found out that she isn't related to him by blood.

"I'll be careful. Just between you and me, Eyva 2.0 is a much nicer sister."

"Blisters forever, hoorah!" She said and held out her fist for a bump. I cracked up giggling as this was certainly not something that Eyva from before would ever do or say. I bumped fists with her as we stepped into the room.

"Woah, Eyva. That is an amazing hair cut!" Brooke got up and welcomed her to the dining room with an air kiss on the cheek, then she helped me hold my crutches as I sat down at the table.

"Hot mamma!" Jac-Jac said, clapping his hands.

"Hey, that's not something a little squidlette like you should be saying, young man." Mum told him off.

"Sowwwy." He gave her puppy dog eyes, then turned to Eyva and I and grinned.

"Welcome, Eyva, Lily. Please take a seat. Welcome home too, Eyva." Wallace waited until we were all sitting before he directed the kitchen staff to serve us. Mrs H was in lead with plates and drinks, four or five other staff members following behind.

"We usually only eat fancy meals like this when Grandma and Granddad Overmeyer are in attendance. Usually its a one plate affair with normal food. Today we are celebrating your return to the estate so all your favourite food is being served." I filled Eyva in on the special dinner happening around us.

"Oh, should I have worn something different to this meal?" She asked. She was in jeans and a white silk shirt with the sleeves rolled up to just below her elbows. Hot little tanned ankle boots finished the ensemble.

"Nah, when its just us, wear what ever you like. But if its Grandma and Granddad Overmeyer, or just anything to do with Grandma Overmeyer, dress to impress. You wont go wrong. Skirt, dress, semi-formal wear, ball gown, cocktail dress..."

"Lily, that's enough. It isn't that bad." Mum interrupted my rambling and over exaggerated exposition of the Overmeyer casual and semi formal occasional wear.

"I'm not kidding. If you wear pearls you get extra points." I murmur in my new sister's ears.

She had already started smiling and was now giggling.

"Yup, yup! And if she piwnches youw cheeks, youw nowt alowd to cwy." Jac-Jac's comment had us both in stitches.

Dinner was fun and I can't remember the last time I enjoyed this kind of meal with everyone. I think this really is a first for us. Normally Eyva would say something horrible and snarky and ruin the whole thing. Enough of that. I smiled at my new step sister. I think we're going to get along just well.

It turns out that Eyva hates tomatoes, or at least she prefers not to eat them and has left them out of her salad and to the side of her plate. The red meats she only ate a little of, but the chicken and fish she finished completely. She didn't even touch her wine glass and drank a light apple juice instead.

"So, this weekend I'm moving out of home." In the lull of dinner conversation just as dessert was served, I spoke up and informed everyone on my plans. "I'll be checking out the apartment tomorrow, well the whole building actually, thanks to Wallace..." I give him a glare. "I'll be going after class to figure it all out, and see if the new place needs anything before I settle in."

"Oh, you're leaving?" Eyva asked, as she took a hold of my hand.

"Hey, hey. Don't panic, you'll still see me weekends and whenever I need a free meal or two. Mrs H's burritos are to die for."

"But you wont be here any more?" Eyva's eyes nearly teared up, turning a little red. Since this was Eyva 2.0 we were conversing with, this wasn't some cheap trick to get what she wants.

"Oh, Eyva." Mum said quietly.

"It will be OK. You have Wallace, mum and Jac-Jac here. And you can always come over and visit any time."

"Oh, OK. Will there be room enough for me to stay a while with you?" She asked.

"Oh sure! I have no idea." I nodded then shook my head and got a smile at my contradictory reply.

"You have my number and I can call you tomorrow to let you know what the place is like. After class on Friday, why don't you bring Jac-Jac to come and check it out with me? Dinner at my new digs? How about you, Mum? Wallace?"

"I'm free but I think your mother is away this weekend on a business trip." Wallace answered my question for the both of them.

"Oh, really mum? Should I wait until you get back before we eat at my new place together?"

"No, not necessary. You guys go ahead. I'll be over when I get back for some mother daughter time. Don't worry. OK?" Mum tried hard to settle it all.

"Sound good then. So, you can call, or come visit, and we can check out he roof top garden together. I hear a bar station has been set up there."

"No parties!" Wallace growled and I couldn't help laughing.