Chapter 145 - Conundrum

conundrum
noun
1. a confusing and difficult problem or question.
2. a question asked for amusement, typically one with a pun in its answer; a riddle.

Then it was Friday, late afternoon and it was all-go! I left the apartment at four PM, dressed in a pair of high waisted wide legged navy pants, paired with a large printed silk top – one of my own design – and a pair of Mary Jane shoes. I just figured it would be best to wearing something I could move comfortably in.

My staff were already working inside the coffee house when I arrived. They were seeing to the front of house set up and ensuring the kitchen was all coordinated for the event. The kitchen was serving hor-dourves, drinks, sweet petit fours and of course the matching coffee with all the various flavours. I decided to skip presenting my new teas at this point as I hadn't quite figured out my fair trade supplier yet.

Fairy lights were an additional set up that my team had to sort out at the last minute because Grant came over with a huge box of them, a gift, apparently from Wallace. They turned out to be a couple of sets of warm coloured waterfall lights and needed a ladder to set up. We had to go to the building security for said ladder, then Jackson and Grant spent half an hour hanging them up, one behind the counter on the blank wall that I was going to place a piece of artwork but didn't get around to it.

The last two sets went up behind the corner where the jazz band was going to be playing. I didn't know if it would work, I felt that it might be a bit over kill, but I apparently didn't have any say in it at that point. Grant gently pushed me away and told me to – and I quote – "go play in the kitchen with the chef..." So I went to the kitchen to play with the chef. And tasted everything and was completely filled up with all his yummy eats before the doors even opened and we began welcoming guests.

My family were one of the first to arrive when we opened for the event. I kissed and hugged everyone, took a quick family photo to send to Eyva, then I spent an hour with my coffee house manager Murrieta Murr welcoming the other guests into the shop and handing out coffee compliment cards for everyone interested in becoming regular customers. If they used it any time in the future in our store, they would get a free complimentary coffee with any meal. Just a little something to encourage everyone to come visit again.

The band was brilliant. Perfect for the atmosphere that I was after and their set up in the corner of the coffee house gave everyone from the mezzanine floor and ground floor a great view of their performance. Sound reverberated throughout the whole venue. Chilled, classic, with a lo-fi chillaxing feel –lovely.

I kept watching my wrist watch as we got closer to seven PM. I was nervous, wondering if he would actually turn up. I never received a reply from the guy when he asked me out midweek, so I didn't actually know if he coming. Then Grant called me for a mini-emergency. We'd run out of salmon as it was a popular flavour of hor-dourves and he had to check in with me to let me know that he was going to the bulk-buy grocery market to buy some. Then he pointed to the entrance of the venue and giggle.

"Your handsome man has arrived. Don't leave him hanging or he might get snaffled up by someone else." I followed the direction he was pointing and found Mr Anginelli being surrounded by a few rich looking ladies and even a member of my new staff. I frowned at that. My staff team should not be so obviously trying to hook up with customers. It was highly unprofessional and just cheap looking. I patted Grant on the shoulder and murmured about being off with himself to get the fish, then took a couple of glasses of grape juice and made my way through the throng of people in my shop.

It really did look like the ruggedly handsome man was being swamped by good looking men and women. One was so familiar with him that she had her hand on his wrist, near the small posey of flowers – purple hydrangeas to be precise. In the language of flowers, purple hydrangeas meant the desire to deeply understand. I blushed a little when I realised that. He was getting a little bit obvious with his pursuit of me, but when I looked at the small gathering around him, I hesitated.