Chapter 142 - Theatrics

theatrics
noun
plural noun: theatrics
1. dramatic performances.
2. excessively emotional and dramatic behaviour.

I think I drank half of a bottle of gin all on my own last night after we ate dinner at a little down town eatery and Patricia drove me home. I was thankful that I was living in a building with a kick-arse security team or I don't think I'd have fallen asleep for being a scaredy cat. No nightmares that goodness. Such a stupid thing to do, I kept berating myself all night long.

I had a class cancelled this morning so I had planned to sleep in but at 9am I was rudely woken up by the building fire alarm.

Weeeooooweeeooooweeeoooo!

I shot up straight out of bed, tripped over tangled bedding and thumped onto the shaggy carpet floor.

"Oww." I moaned as I picked myself up. The alarm stopped and it took me only a moment to remember the fire alarm testing that was scheduled today. I had completely forgotten.

After a shower and a coffee – and paracetamol for the headache – I began eating a light cereal breakfast with defrosted blueberries on the top. One of my favourite breakfasts.

My phone rang. It was Bob Blanchard, my building manager.

"Good Morning, Ms Twice. How are you this fine day?" Bob was sounding very chipper this morning and it wasn't really meshing with my slightly pounding head ache.

"Hi Bob, yes the alarms are loud enough to wake the dead – or the sleeping, in my case." He chuckled at my bad morning humour and we discussed the next phase of the building upgrades. It should all be complete by the end of next week then we can get Mr Anginelli over to a final last minute inspection before the local council send over their building inspectors. He was updating me on a few other matters regarding the new tenants applying for office space when the old tenants move out. I then had another call beep in.

"Thank you, Bob for the update. I've got another call coming in, I'll see you on the weekend at the coffee house opening." I respectfully said my goodbyes to the older manager.

"Sure thing, Ms Twice. See you then." We hung up and I quickly switched to the incoming call.

"Ms Twice, Claire here. I have that list of bands available for you this weekend, but to be honest, there is only one that would be suitable. It is a lo-fi jazz quartet with guitar, double bass, keyboard and drums. They would be perfect for the coffee house. I've already called them to check for availability and they are free. Does this sound like what you need?"

Ms Claire sounded really positive about this band so I went with her suggestion. They were a little bit more expensive for the price of a four member small band, but lo-fi jazz in a coffee house was just too perfect so I said yes. Ms Claire helped me make arrangements and we went from there. I was very happy about that. I sent Ms Claire's contact details and the name of the band which was 'Jammin' with Jake' to my team with a note about the opening night band.

After my call with Ms Claire Godfrey, I received a text from Patricia that Sunny had made contact with her this morning and was arranged to meet with Patricia and begin her training. I text back asking Patricia to take her shopping had purchase her two business suits and comfortable shoes – boots were perfectly acceptable – and bring her to the coffee house when they were done.

I then text her again, asking her to arrange part time work, nights or weekends for whatever Jackson needed and to get in touch with him with a contract and uniform sizes.

I then spent two hours studying eCommerce and Financial Management – two papers that I didn't really enjoy doing, but were invaluable for all the projects that I had on the go at the moment. Very informative, but large work and study load. Sigh...