Chapter Seven - Attestation

attestation
noun
1. evidence or proof of something.
2. a declaration that something exists or is the case.
3. the action of being a witness to or formally certifying something.

"I got you something." My mum and I are sitting in a small Japanese restaurant eating a yummy dinner meal after our long afternoon of shopping, when she pulls out of her tote bag a black gift box.

"What's this for? Shouldn't I be getting you and Wallace something instead?" I take the medium sized gift box and carefully open it. Inside the tissue paper is a white Virtus Embellished clutch bag by Versace. It would have cost her almost as much as my dress cost.

"Mum! This is too much." I put the lid back on and try to hand it back to her.

"Take it, honey. Its a thank you gift and bridesmaid gift all rolled into one. Its for being so understanding about all of this. I bought it overseas two months ago, so no take-backs." She smiled as I opened the box again to look at the small white evening bag with the typical gold Versace embellishments on it.

This was the bag that she gave to Eyva in my last timeline as a thank you for welcoming us to their family. The fact that my mother is giving it to me this time around means something is going right. I can't help but smile widely at her. I get out of my seat and skip around to her and give her a shoulder hug and kiss on the cheek, playing the doting cutesy daughter to the max.

"Mum, thank you. This means a lot to me. And it matches my new dress so very well!" Actually it isn't so much about the seven hundred dollar hand bag that she'd given, I couldn't care less about this expensive junk now, but I know that at future social events at my new school and in my new wealthier environment, every little expensive prop will go a long way to helping me fit in. And I can now rub Eyva's nose in it that my mum definitely loves me better.

"Hahahaha, mum, you're amazing!"

"Oh, stop it. Sit back down and finish your meal." She is mock growling at me with a smile on her face, but I can see how happy my new behaviour is making her.

After we finish our sashimi and order a light sorbet for desert, my lovely mother sits back and watches me finishing my drink.

"I promised you could meet Wallace and his family before our wedding tomorrow. Is now a good time?" She's nervous again, her napkin is being worried to bits.

"Yes mum. Now is a great time. Where are they?" I look around the restaurant and watch as the most adorable little blond cherub angel brings over a bowl of frozen desert, trying carefully not to drop it or spill anything. Wallace is the tall ash blond man behind him and the nasty piece of works step sister is following in their wake.

I stand up and smile shyly at Wallace, wave a little hello at them all then step forward just as Jac-jac stumbles and drops the bowl he was carrying. Everyone freezes and I can see the lost look of sorrow on the little angels face as he looks up at me. Oh, my heart aches a million star bursts. Those familiar eyes, that amazing hair, so curly just like mine. I take a deep breath to hide my grief and joy at finally able to see him again.

"Oh, is this for me?" I ask, and sit down at his level and pick the bowl up.

"Ah-huh. We brings it over for yous." My smiles brings out his own shy smile and we sit together on the restaurant floor eating sorbet and chatting together.

"And I like dis ice cweam. Its made from lemon and limes and my daddy's chef made it specially for us." I quickly take the spoon handed to me by my mother's hand and take a quick taste.

"Oh, that is good. Wanna try?" I scoop some and feed him a taste. He forgets all about his faux pa and sits cross legged like me, helping me eat my desert.

"My name is Lily. What's you name? Is is angel?"

"Nope." He giggles.

"It is Superman?" His eyes brighten and he jiggles around.

"I love superman. He's so amazing, flying through the sky."

"What about the Hulk?" I growl and give my best hulk impersonation.

"Grrr," he growls back.

"Not the hulk." I giggle as we finish the bowl together. Everyone else has sat at the table by this point and are watching us siblings play. I then realise that I haven't introduced myself to Wallace yet and go a little red in the face. OK, a lot red in the face.

I'm sitting on the floor of the restaurant, having just eaten a dropped bowl of food on the floor with a toddler. Yeah, not my brightest move ever.

"Um... Jac-jac. Is it OK if I can call you Jac-jac?" I ask quietly, shyly.

"Um, only my family calls me Jac-jac. My real name is just Jack."

"Well Just Jack, did you know that I'm your big sister?"

"No, silly. Not Just Jack. Jack. My name is Jack." I giggle at his laughter, nodding my head.

"Jack, is it OK if I can be your big sister?" I ask.

"Biwg sister?" He looks over at Eyva, his mum and dad then back at me for confirmation. I'm assuming everyone is nodding at him behind my back.

"Yous my big sister, like Eyva?" He tilts his head to the side.

"Your mum is my mum. Doesn't that make me your sister?"

"Oh yeah." He gets up as I do and after I sit down in the chair next to my mother, he climbs into my lap.

"Mama, did you know I have anuva biwg sister?"

"Yes, Jac-jac. I know." She's trying to not cry again and can't help but giggle.

"Lily, this is Wallace Overmeyer, the man I'm going to marry. This is his oldest daughter Eyva. She's a year older than you. I'm sure she will take good care of you."