Chapter Thirteen - Perseverance

perseverance
noun
1. persistence in doing something despite difficulty or delay in achieving success.

Mum and Mrs Hepburn set me up in a bedroom right next to Jac-jac's. Last time I lived here I was placed at the other end of the family living space, it might very well have been in another country for how far away I was from the rest of the family. Now it is Ayva who is separated from the rest of us by a sitting area.

And there is no pink or purple colours in the whole room. Yeah, I'm not even going to attempt to describe the monstrosity that was the last room I lived in here in this place. Lets just say that Eyva designed it for a baby girl and then proceeded to show all of her friends who came to visit exactly what room I had apparently set up for myself.

This new room had a large queen sized bed, covered in white coloured throw blankets and bedding with carefully placed cushions and pillows, all different shades of white and cream. The splashes of baby blue created an interesting contrast that lead the eye to the rest of the bedroom space.

A glass vase in the same baby blue; a potted moth orchid planted in a baby blue pot; cushions or throw rugs or the family of elephants on the side table, all of them in the same shade of blue.

"Oh, I love it." I picked up a baby elephant and rubbed the ceramic with my thumb. A chase lounge sat at the base of my new bed and matched the upholstered button pattern of the headboard in that same off white coloured fabric. Above the bed on the wall hung a giant painting of two blue koi fish swimming around each other. The little bit of orange colour on their patterned bodies was the only other colour in the room. "Wow, I really do love it."

"Miss Lily, the koi fish is a symbol for good luck or good fortune associated with perseverance in adversity and strength of purpose. I do hope you will find peace here in this new bedroom of yours. Mr Overmeyer has let me know to purchase anything else you may need while you live here with us. For now, there is a set of night ware on bench in the bathroom." She points to a door on my far left beyond the bed. "Let me know if you need anything else."

"Thank you Mrs Hepburn. I really appreciate all you have done for me today." Hoping she understands my gratefulness for having spoken up for me earlier in the day, I smile at her, then pull Mum further into the room.

"You like it? We can change it if you don't." Mum is smiling, knowing I'm really happy with the way the room currently stands.

"No, mum. This room is perfect. Thank you." I give her a big hug.

"If your clothing hasn't arrived in the morning, we can ask Eyva to borrow a dress or something."

"Mum, she hates my guts. I think it best not to be borrowing anything from her in the near future. You must have your own wardrobe here. Just lend me a pair of shorts and a shirt. I'll be sweet with that."

"Ok, but, um, did you really not come up here to Eyva's room with her before all of that happened?"

"Mum, I have no idea where Eyva's room even is, let alone know what her jewellery box looks like. I'm sure she didn't mean to take her practical joke so far." I stare at my mother, begging her with my eyes to trust me and drop the whole matter. To help tip her over the edge I begin talking about how kind Mrs Hepburn is in coming to my aid and showing me, a lost daughter, back to the party.

"She really is a kind lady, but woah, she knows how to run a kitchen and waiting staff. I don't think I'd ever be able to mess with that lady." And its true. Even 'before' when I started acting out, trying to get my mother's attention the first timeline, Mrs Hepburn would never put up with my shit. And she never abused me either, like some of the other maids and staff members did.

"Yes, Mrs H is a fantastic woman to have here on staff. I trust her completely, and I trust you also, my girl." I sigh in relief then give her a tight hug.

Thanks Mum, I think I need to shower and head to bed. Where should I put my dress for dry cleaning?" I ask while removing my mum's shoes and hand them to her.

"No, you keep these. They look great on your long toned legs."

"Long? If they were long I'd be taller than I am now."

"I know, short stuff." We share a teasing laugh.

"OK, OK. Time for bed. Night night, Mum." I walk her to the bedroom door and hand her over to the groom waiting impatiently, standing in the hallway.

"Is Jac-jac down for the night?" She asks him as I close the door. I hear them murmuring as the walk to the mansion's master bedroom suite at the end of the hall.

"Sigh...." I'm exhausted. And that huge bed is calling my name. Groaning I make my way into the luxury bathroom and sigh again.

Showering and drying off, I slip into the grey draw string pyjama pants and matching tank top, run some leave in conditioner through my curls, then climb into tall bed. Might need to get a step stool. As I settle into bed I think over my day and realise I'm satisfied with how things went today. And as I think about the next few things on my list of things to do, I realise there the light in my room is still on and its all the way over on the other side of the room. So lazy. Don't want to get out of bed. Have to.

It takes me ten minutes to convince myself to get up to turn a bedside lamp on and go turn the main light out. Ah, first world problems, eh?