Chapter 140 - Naivety

naivety
noun
1. lack of experience, wisdom, or judgement.
2. innocence or unsophistication.

We were sitting in Wallace's office in the glass enclosed staff pantry, just outside where his numerous secretaries and assistants work. Drinking warm drinks and eating pastry left overs from Wallace's morning meeting, it had taken us a long time to settle down. The secretarial staff were all very nice and caring, helping provide Sunny and I with warm blankets and Jackson with much needed medical aid. Someone even managed to put butterfly strips on the cut on his forehead to close it up to promote healing before it was bandaged.

I still had the shakes that I was trying hard to hide this fact. It is not every day that you have a literal run-in by the mob. I seriously thought that the bang I heard was a gun shot and seriously feared for my life. Freaked me out. And now my car has a huge dent in the back fender.

"Stuff-a-duck." I murmured. Grant patted me gently on the back and pulled the soft blanket up over my shoulders when it slipped. It was supposed to help me calm down, or something, as it appears that I am the only one still in shock.

When we arrived at Wallace's office, Grant had to carry me up the lift as I'd been shivering and my temperature had dropped quite a bit. Like, real medical shock, the kind that can kill if it isn't treated.

Wallace wasn't happy when he heard what had happened to me and my friends. Within fifteen minutes, he was able to arrange the local police and local council staff to release to him the footage of both the supposed car incident last Friday night outside the boss' club and today at the park. When he watched it alone in his office, a good fifty meters away from the staff pantry where we were situated, I still could feel the rage of his dragon aura permeate the whole office floor – and then some – causing me to begin shivering all over again.

"Someone's head is gonna roll." I whispered. The office staff were all watching Wallace's office, wide eyed and curious. I even saw some rub their arms as they worked at their computers and desks. "Seriously, he is pissed."

"Lily, I want to thank you. You probably save both our lives." Sunny was sitting on Jackson's lap at this point. Not really office behaviour, but the big guy wasn't letting her go after what we'd all been through. She kept rubbing his neck carefully, trying to keep him calm, like taming a tiger really.

After a hot drink and the medic's advice, we were all able to sit calmly and chat quietly while we waited for Wallace to do what ever he was going to do.

"You think he's gonna sue someone's pants off?" Grant asked. I looked up at him with a raised eyebrow. Child, you have no idea what he is capable of. That was the thought that went through my head in response to Grant's naivety.

"Probably remove the head of the underworld or demand huge amounts in compensation." I murmured. Grant looked at me, then went all wide eyed.

Underworld? He asked without making a sound. I nodded.

"You didn't know?" I asked quietly as he took a sip of his drink while still watching me. Then I mouthed mafia and he went all wide eyed and choked on his drink. Hahaha I laughed at him.

Sunny's phone rang, it was her boss at the place she worked part time.

"Yes, no. Sorry, Mr Chang. No please don't. I need this job," she spoke quietly, while still sitting on Jackson's knees. The grumpy teen just turned away from her call and snorted. He wasn't impressed with Sunny's boss. Then he looked at me and raised his eyebrow, reminding me of my job offer for Sunny. I smiled at him, but waited until Sunny apologised to her ex-boss and hung up her phone with a sigh.