Chapter 112 - Sumptuous

sumptuous
adjective
1. splendid and expensive-looking.

The rest of Sunday was full of studying, snacking and more studying. I spend an hour in the building's swimming pool doing slow laps, then went to the local supermart to buy food for dinner. Groceries wouldn't be arriving until tomorrow afternoon and I'd already run out of a few fresh foods.

When I arrived back home, a package was waiting for me outside my door. No, it wasn't a cutie little Yorkie puppie this time, but a large gift bag with gigantic bow holding the handles together. The bag itself was embossed with velvet so I knew it came from either Wallace or Eyva. The little gift card was written with a "Happy Sunday!" curly script in glitter pen, definitely Eyva.

I picked it up as I entered my apartment, smiling widely, happy and warm on the inside. Opening the large gift bag, I found the strangest item. Was it a blanket? Was it a giant hooded sweatshirt? I couldn't tell. I held it up against my body trying to figure it out. It had arms and a hood, was incredibly wide and hung well below my knees, almost to my ankles. It wasn't an adult hooded Onesie, and it wasn't a lap blanket but a mixture of both, but without the leggings.

"Oh my goddess? What is this?" I asked my empty apartment. I put my hand inside, feeling the garment lining. It was made of the softest mulberry silk, so soft and satiny. The outer layer was made from a fluffy periwinkle fleece with ribbons matching the lining.

I pulled on the hooded blanket thingy over top of my clothes, leaving only socks on my feet to hang out the end. Then I took out my phone and gave Eyva a video call.

"What is this?" I asked, then pulled the camera away form my face to show her the blanket gift she'd given me. "What is it called? I love it. Its so soft and cuddly. I think its going to be my new team's uniform. Can you get me some more? Can you imagine Grant or, goodness me, Patricia wearing one of these?" I asked her question after question without giving to space to answer. By the time she could answer she was already giggling so hard she couldn't say a thing. I jumped onto the couch, turned the TV on to watch another RomCom, then showed Eyva how I could tuck my legs up inside the giant sweater blanket and cuddle down.

"Its so amazing, so soft and cuddly. I think I'll be staying here a while. Love you Eyva 2.0. Thank you so much. Gotta go, my programme is on. See ya!" I hung up with a giggle, laying in my new gift for a while. Then my tummy rumbled letting me know it was dinner time. I looked at the windows under the stairwell and noticed the setting sun. Rays of orange dusky sunlight filtered through giving me a sense of security and warmth.

I turned towards the apartment door where I'd left my load of groceries with my purse and shoes. I turned to look at the kitchen, wondering if there was anything I could quickly heat and eat while still tucked away in my new heavenly gift. There wasn't. Not even a cup of instant noodles. And being the good healthy eating responsible adult that I am, I didn't buy any of those kinds of foods when I went to the supermart down the road.

"Arg!" I groaned. "The joys of living alone." I pulled my cellphone out of the giant front pouch pocket and quick-dialed Grant's number.

"Grant! I'm stuck on the couch and need some advice for dinner delivery. Got and suggestions, please?" I haven't ever ordered food deliver since we moved out of the house I grew up in. The usual pizza and burger joint delivery just wasn't my thing any more. I know exactly how easy it is for me to gain weight.

"Hey Lily. How's your weekend been?" I hadn't seen Grant since after class last Friday so we spent ten minutes catching up. I enjoy talking with Grant. It is strange not living on the same property as him any more, so I value our phone call times.

"So there is a restaurant that specialises in Asian fusion cuisine. They do delivery and often throw in extra freebees for all those single dogs out there."

"Hey, I resent that. Who are you calling dog!" I cry out in mock anger.

"If the shoe fits." Was his reply.

"Oh, that is so rude!" I laugh at him when I remember that he's a single dog too. Grant gave me a website for the Asian fusion restaurant he recommended then bid me a good night.

Using their online menu and ordering platform, I managed to order a sumptuous looking smoked-duck salad with walnuts and raspberries. It looked decidedly French if it wasn't for the bean sprouts and slices of bright red chillies on the top. Ordering the salad with an extra serving of dressing, I also decided to splash out on their desserts as well and ordered a Matcha biscotti with crystalized ginger and pear. The takeaway options came with a little mini tub of French vanilla ice cream. So yummy!

Once I ordered I realised that I still didn't want to get off the couch and the building's security was very tight. The delivery person would have a hard time bringing me my food. Looking at the apartment door, I realised that I couldn't get any lazier than what I was about to propose.

My phone dinged with my order confirmation with a delivery ETA of half an hour away. I smiled, then called downstairs to the security office for the next step of my master plan.

Thirty five minutes later a knock sounded on my apartment door.

"Come in!" I yelled, then buried myself in my blanket once again. The security lock sounded on the door as a master key card was used and the door clicked open.

"Ms Twice, your food order has arrived." Peter Montgomery arrived with a younger guy in a matching security uniform behind him. "This is Ashley, he'll take care of your food delivery during the evening hours." The younger guy didn't say anything, but smiled and nodded his greetings.

"Thanks Peter, thank you Ashley. I'll be in your care from now on." I called out, still cuddled up in my blanket hoodie with only my nose and eyes peeping out. I could see this younger guy Ashley was trying hard to hide his smile. Peter just looked at me as if nothing was wrong. I blushed, but pretended this was acceptable and very normal behaviour for a daughter of a wealthy business man.

Anyway, I owned the building, paid their salaries. Who was I if not their direct boss lady and supervisor. Works for me, I thought as I shrugged as Peter handed me my food.

I took the food but nearly dropped it as we heard from the open apartment door a very familiar "Ruff ruff ruff!"

"Woah, again?" I placed my food down on the table next to the lounge couch, jumped up and raced past the two security guards and out the door. "Oh, there you are!" This little puppy was the epitome of cuteness overload. I scooped the little Yorkshire terrier puppy up and welcomed his little nips and licks on my chin and neck. Peter waited patiently as I baby talked with the little Furbutt, then he coughed into his fist once he'd thought I'd had enough lovin'.

"Do I have to?" I asked my head of security, knowing he'd understand exactly what I was asking with that question. Peter nodded solemnly while Ashley was trying to hide his shaking shoulders behind his boss. Then I looked down at myself, knee length white socks and giant periwinkle blanket hoodie, cutesie talking with a toy size live plushy dog, yeah, I'd be laughing my arse off too if I was him.

Some building owner I turned out to be. I cleared my throat and passed Furbutt over to the senior security guard. Sounding all professional and responsible I asked him to deliver the little guy home.

"I'm sure Ms Morisse is missing him. And please, find out how he's getting around the building without using the lift." I reluctantly hand the puppy over, then remember my food that is cooling down.

"Thanks, see ya!" I call out as I close the apartment door behind me. Yummo, smoked-duck salad with Matcha biscotti and ice cream ready to go!