Chapter Twelve - Reprehensible

reprehensible
adjective
1. deserving censure or condemnation.

"Explain yourself, young lady. Why did you break your new step sister's jewels? It is unconscionable for you to behave in this manner." Mrs Overmeyer would never in a million years believe her beautiful, sweet granddaughter would ever lie to her face in front of important guests. Ever. And this is perfect, but I need to let the line run out a little further before catching the White Witch, hook and sinker.

Instead of answering the elder family leader, I look at my mum with a massive huge question mark written all over my face. This only adds to my mother's continued confusion and Wallace's further disappointment. Jac-jac is staring wide eyed at me and his Grandpa sends a wink my way. I nod at his encouragement and begin to speak, but before I can say anything, Eyva steps out from her grandma's arms and with both hands clasped before her, speaks louder again.

"I'm sorry, Lily. If I had known you wanted more than the diamond bracelet I gave you last night for a welcome to the family gift, I would have gone shopping this morning before the wedding for you. But this..." She choked on a sob.

Mrs Hepburn was the first one in the whole group to figure out what Eyva had done and how she was currently 'performing'. She gave my hand a squeeze and started to speak, but I interrupted her quickly.

"Eyva, I was happy to accept your gift last night, as it matched exactly the gift I gave you. Its like we're born in this lifetime to become sisters. But I don't understand. Why are you crying? Are upset that I bought you the exact same gift as you bought me?" I then turned to her grandma with confusion on my face. "I'm sorry, Mrs Overmeyers, could you please explain about the broken jewellery you mentioned, please?"

I don't think she expected that. The elder woman looked at Eyva then me again, then turned to the head maid and saw that she was holding me protectively.

"Mrs Hepburn? Do you have something to add to this matter?"

"Ma'am, should we move back into the house to discuss this?" Mrs Hepburn was aware everyone was watching the drama unfold. But before the decision was made, Eyva started on again about me being in her room and breaking her jewellery.

"That's not true, Ma'am. Coming from the catering kitchen just now, I learned that Miss Eyva showed Miss Lily to a room on the first floor by the butlers quarters for her to move into when they arrive this week. Then Miss Lily was then left to navigate the servants quarters by herself until she found her way to me in the catering kitchen, Ma'am. She was with me for nearly twenty minutes and wouldn't have had time to explore the new environment, let alone make her way all the way to the main family living space on the third floor, find Miss Eyva's room, her jewellery and break it. Asking Mrs Overmeyer to judge this situation objectively, Ma'am." She was almost huffing for having spoken so fast.

Then it was like a record player screeched to a halt, rough noise and all.

Then everyone looked at the wide eyed Eyva and her stuttering.

"I, I... It was... I..." I think the pressure was too much for her, considering this is a the very beginning of her foray into realm of deception and the arena of the two-faced White Lotus. She had dropped the ball completely with this one. Poor form. Foul ball. Worm burner. So sad, too bad. Let's hope her next performance is up to par.

I can't help but giggle though, which then attracts every eye to me. I suddenly stop, then give a shy smile and step up to Eyva from Mrs Hepburn's careful hold.

"I like your practical joke, Eyva." I start laughing, letting a joyful noise come forth, holding my hand over my mouth. "But maybe next time, you need to give your Grandma a heads up and maybe you should use inexpensive trinkets. I have a few that I can bring you for the next time you want to play a joke on someone. It was a good one." I continue laughing as I walk past her, patting her shoulder gently on my way past where her Grandma can see.

"Hey Mr Overmeyer, could I please borrow Jac-jac for a moment?" He nods and passed the little boy over as chatter starts up again all around us.

Eyva begins trying to salvage her dignity and kinship with her grandma, while Mrs Hepburn asks if anyone in the pagoda needs anything further to be served. I quickly grab my little angel and tickle him to bits to brighten his mood, then spin him around until his giggles fill the space.

Moving over to the seat next to Mum, I huff out a breath and let Jac-Jac have a breather in my lap.

"Are you OK, honey?" my mum asks. I nod affirmative.

"Yes, very OK." I smile, really super happy that Eyva got caught in her stupid petty trap and I was able to gain reputation points with her grandparents because of her stupid games.

"I'm sorry for my daughter, Lily. I'll be certain to ask Mrs Hepburn to prepare a lovely room in the family quarters for you."

"Thank you, Mr Wallace. Just please don't make it a pink or purple room."

"Ok, and you can drop the Mister. Just call me Wallace if you like."

"Oh, yes. I can do that."

"Why can't she call you 'Daddy', like I do, Daddy?" Well that's not awkward.

"Hey, Angel?" I try to gain his attention while he's sitting in my lap.

"Who is Angel. I'm Jack."

"You are my little Angel. You have a beautiful halo..." I rub his curly hair. "You have a beautiful face and long arms for cuddles..." I squish his cheeks and drape his arms around my neck, then I turn him around and pat his back. "I'm sure you have wings here on your back somewhere." I pull at his clothing then start to tickle his bare skin under his cute little shirt as he giggles again. "And if you sing me a song, I'm sure you'd sound like an angel. Can my little Angel please sing for me?"

"Hee hee hee... I can sing. Watch me sing Twinkle little star!" Then he belts out into song, singing 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star' at the top of his lungs. It was so cute. Like a mewling kitten pretending to be a lion.

"That was wonderful. I love it. Now, did you know that your Daddy and my daddy are not the same?"

"Not the same? But Mummy is the same?"

"Yes, we have Mummy together, but my daddy went away to heaven so that I could come here to live with you and mummy and your daddy. Do you think this is OK? Can I come to live with you now?"

"Yes! You can come live here." He then turns to his mother and quietly asks, "And mummy live here now too?" Oh, be still my breaking heart. I almost start crying as we both turn to find our mum crying as she smiles at the both of us. Wallace pulls her into his arms gently and nods in agreement.

"Yes, Jac-jac. We're a big happy family now. We'll all be living together here from now on."

"Don't say that..." but it was too late.

Both my mum and I groan as we realise the joy on the little boy's face. It turns we're moving into the place tonight.

"Yay, Big sis Lily and Mummy are living here from now on!" He jumps off my lap and races up to his grandad to tell him the good news.

"Now you've done it. That little boy expects us to move in. Tonight. Thank you Mr can't-run-your-mouth-off-fast-enough!" I giggle at Wallace's sheepish look and he gets up to speak to an assistant to make arrangements for our gear to being its migration over to the new house so we will have clothing and toiletries in the morning.

Mum tucks me into her arms as we sit together and watch the people chatter and move around us. Both of us are given a glass of champaign as Wallace begins his loving speeches and welcoming us to the family, and we spend the rest of the evening celebrating with our new clan the joyous occasion.

It was a really lovely evening, and the best thing about it all? I didn't have any more run-ins with the White Witch of the West.

Eyva 0 Vs Lily 2.