Chapter Twenty Eight - Cavalier

cavalier

noun

1. a supporter of King Charles I in the English Civil War.

2. a small spaniel of a breed with a long snout.

adjective

1. showing a lack of proper concern; offhand.

"Aaron Chalmers, I've just spoken to your father and we've both made amendments to the agreement for compensation to Lily Twice for damages made. It is apparent that you came here today without a clue as to the extent of the damage you have caused to Lily and her future sporting career. Your cavalier attitude has disappointed me greatly.

"If your father had come into a business meeting or started bidding for a contract without having done his homework to the degree you have shown here today, then he'd lose millions of dollars or more. Do you understand what I'm saying, Mr Chalmers?"

"Ah, sir? Are you pulling out your support from my father and his company?"

"No I am not. I am expressing how potentially damaging your attitude is here today. If this is something your father has taught you, or neglected to teach you, how do you ever expect to inherit or take over the running of his business in the future?"

"Ah, um..." This made the teenage boy flustered. He really hasn't had to think about any of this before, just expected to go to university to get a qualification, work for his dad for a few years then inherit the business. This kind of on-the-spot-training wasn't something he's ever had to do before.

"Do you understand the gravity of your attitude and choices here today? You threw my step daughter over a railing and down a two story drop that could have killed her. Her prior martial arts training saved her life, but in the process she busted her leg. This has caused loss to her current sports teams and her positions on each of them – multiple sports teams - and she will now long longer be eligible for sporting scholarships nor a professional career in sports of any kind. You have ruined the dreams and future goals of a teenage girl because of your moment of carelessness.

"Then you turn up in her hospital room while she isn't dressed appropriately for visitors, try to isolate her, demand to speak with her without any support then cause further trauma with more careless actions." By this point Wallace is growling out his words and Aaron has tried to move as far as he can away from the powerful man.

"However, it turns out that you didn't even learn who she was, the extent of your damages, and basically arrived here without doing any research or homework and expected her to listen to your apology and accept it casually. Is this about right?"

He shivered, unsure what to say. He looked at me, looked at Liam then back at Wallace and swallowed audibly. In a small, high voice he spoke.

"Sir, Mr Overmeyer, Sir. Um, I apologise for my cavalier attitude and I understand the situation now. Thank you for teaching me the error of my ways. I... My father..."

Wallace raised a hand when he started to make excuses and bring his father into it.

"I am under no illusion as to the solidarity of your mistakes here today. I have spoken to your father and we have both agreed to have the police involved, but due to the compensation already paid, you will receive the minimun sentence possible."

"Ah, police, sir?" He started shaking.

"Yes, I'm afraid so. I think its time for you to go home and speak to your father about it all. We will be seeing you later." He stepped aside and indicated for Aaron to leave the room. Liam apologised again and said goodbye and followed Aaron out the door.

It was after some time before my heart settled down from its staccato thumping after Wallace's confrontation. And I wasn't even the person being berated.

Wallace stayed with me the whole morning, working on a company laptop and phone. Jac-jac and I watched cartoons on my computer quietly so not to disturb Wallace's work. I'd offered for him to leave a few times but when he got angry at me for trying to push him out of the room, I stopped and just accepted he was trying to be parental.

Lunch was sushi and milk shakes again, but when Jac-jac spilled his shake down the front of himself, I offered for them to clean the toddler up in my VIP bathroom.

It was while they were shut away nearby that Eyva arrived.

"Why the hell would you press charges?" She screeched at me from the door. All facade of congeniality on her part was long gone. "He's didn't do anything wrong. It was your stupid running jump that caused you to fall over the railing." She stood there in her Prada jeans and blouse, LV pumps and Gucci handbag. Her whole outfit cost more than I'd make in a year on my last job.

"Good afternoon, Eyva, how's school going?" I gave her a pleasant smile, ignoring her rudeness.

"Don't play games with me. You will destroy his university options and scholarships. You can't do that!" She pulled my phone out of her handbag and threw it at me. It landed on my sore leg, causing me to jolt in pain.

"I just found that by the way. Oh, sooooorry. I didn't mean to hit your leg." She had her fake nails on display over her mouth. I just gritted my teeth and refused to let the pained tears fall.

"Stop your crying, no one is here to see you," she brusquely said.

"Then don't throw things are my knee. Its just had surgery, in case you didn't know."

"Oh, who cares. You did that to yourself." She then starts looking around the room and finds evidence that I'm not alone. When her father and Jack come out of the bathroom, her whole demeanour changes and she's sitting beside the bed before the door is even half way open.

"I'm glad it was a successful surgery. I hear the Doctor has given you a good prognosis. That's fantastic, isn't it?" Sugery sweet makes me wanna prewk. She turns around when her father steps into the room, feigned surprise on her face.

"Hi Daddy, I just came over for a visit during my lunch break? I'm glad to hear that Lily's knee is going well."

"Yes, I heard everything. It was an enlightening conversation." His stern face scared my step sister into stuttering.

"I... I, I. Um." Eyva's face paled.

"You will go back to school and come straight home afterwards and we will have a little talk about you, your sister, the police chargers on Aaron Chalmers and your grounding for your offence to your step sister."

"I didn't do anything. She's lying, Daddy. What ever she's told you, its a lie." Tears begin falling down her beautiful face. She look soooo aggrieved, wronged in the worst kind of way.

"She has a name, its Lily. And Lily hasn't said a thing about you. Not one word. Also, it was I who decided to press charges against Aaron Chalmers, not Lily."

"Oh..."

"Yes, 'Oh'. Get to school now. Then Home. We will talk tonight. You are grounded."

"What, no!" He took her arm then gently walked her to the door. I knew why too. She would spend the next ten minutes trying to argue with him and I appreciated that he removed her away from Jac-jac and I while she blubbered and haggled her way out of her punishment.

"Silly girl."

"Yup, yup. Silwee girl." Jac-jac climbed up onto the bed and snuggled in again for more cartoons on my laptop.