Chapter Eight - Austerity

austerity
noun
1. sternness or severity of manner or attitude.
2. plainness and simplicity in appearance.
3. a feature of an austere way of life.

I turn to Wallace and Eyva and wave hello in order of introductions.

"Thank you for welcoming me into your family. I'll be in your care from now on." I smile a sweet smile, one I learned from the step sis sitting across from me. Currently a sour look is plastered on her face and it makes me want to giggle. She is looking at my attire, judging my school clothes and accessories by unrealistic standards, and I can just see her adding up each item to balance out exactly what she believes I'm worth.

"I got you a gift each," I interrupt her train of thoughts then proceed to ignore her as I pull out gifts from my bags for each of them, including my mum. They begin to open them, surprised at the expensive gifts and thoughtfulness. I got my mum a Karen Walker scattered star necklace with six little diamond stars. Wallace received a pair of cufflinks with onyx studs, and I bought a little golden bow tie for Jac-jac. I help him put in on around his neck once he's opened the box.

"Lily, you didn't have to do that. We're welcoming you to our family and are looking forward to getting to know you." Wallace looks at me, probably trying to gage if I'm sucking up to them or not. I keep a calm demeanour with a small smile on my face and shrug my shoulders, as if to say it isn't much and doesn't bother me in the least.

"Its OK. I was just excited about these major changes. You know, its been hard for my mum and I over the last few years, what with Dad's horrible illness and all, but I know we're both ready for our new life to begin and I'm really looking forward to sharing the rest of our lives together with you all."

I really want to giggle as I plagiarise the exact same speech that Eyva gave us when we first moved into the mansion in my past timeline. I even gave her the exact same Tiffany & Co bracelet that she gave me, a sweet 18K rose gold with three small diamonds. It cost over a grand but the look on her face is just absolutely priceless. As soon as her face scrunches up, I frown then look down, staring at the back of the little boy in my lap.

"Eyva. It-its OK if you don't like it." I stutter for effect. "It was only a simple austere gift to show my appreciation." Two can play her stupid white lotus games. When the adults catch the look on her face, they believe she thinks little of the gift.

"Oh, no, sorry Lily. Its just that I bought the exact same bracelet for you as a welcome gift." She smiles at everyone sweetly then pulls a small gift box out of her handbag to pass over. Wallace takes it and hands it to me with a warm smile. And it is the exact same bracelet in rose gold with three small diamonds worth over a thousand dollars. Austere my arse.

"Oh," I reply as Jac-jac picks it up.

"I put it on your wrist."

"Um..." I dither about until Jac-jac lifts my sleeve of the arm around his waist and finds a very similar bracelet on my wrist already.

"I... I kinda already bought myself one similar. I was going to wear it tomorrow, but with the Trelise Cooper dress I bought today, the dress' cuffs wont work with it."

Jac-jac pauses in his work finding a bracelet already on my wrist. The look on Eyva's face shows confusion as she re-evaluates my whole attire.

Wallace carefully takes the jewellery from Jac-jac and the gift box and gives it all back to Eyva and gently asks her to find another suitable welcome gift for me. And that was exactly what I was expecting him to do, and the whole reason I wasted two grand on bracelets I didn't need or want. They quietly argued on the sideline as Mum and I pretend to be too focused on Jack to notice.

"But dad, that was my whole allowance for the week," she whines and I move about restlessly in my seat as if the amount of spending money she receives is upsetting, causing both adults to notice.

"Lets talk about it later," he says with his stern voice which I know means you will do as I say or else.

"Um, Mr Overmeyer, it's OK. I don't mind having another pretty bracelet gift from Eyva," I say as I hold out my hand to receive the gift back. "With matching jewellery, it will be kinda like we're really sisters, wont it?"

"You're not my sister." That explosive emotional outburst that the stress of the whole affair exhibited was exactly what I was hoping to happen. I drop my hand with a downcast look then visibly contort my facial features through a number of emotions before finally wiping my face clear of anything but indifference.

"Eyva, that's enough. Go and sit in the car and wait for me." He turns to me as she leaves in a huff. "I'm sorry, Lily, I know you have tried your hardest to make things easy on your mother and I with our new marriage. I apologise for Eyva's rude behaviour, but I hope you can forgive her and give her time to adjust to these new developments."

"That's OK. I know how hard these changes are for us teenage girls. Just let her process things in her own way and I'm sure she will come around."

I give him a shy smile and hand Jac-jac over after giving the cherub a kiss goodbye. All in all, it was a fantastic night.

Eyva 0 vs Lily 1.